Gibson Brands Forums

Rio Baby! in naught 16

TommyK

Even though I'm within a couple hours drive of Chicargo, I am glad we dodged the chaos bullet of the Summer Olympics in 2016, not to mention the expense that I am sure Hizzonor Mayor Daley would figure out how to foist upon us "Downstaters" (down state Chicargo in Hizzonor's mind).

While I am happy that the southern hemisphere will finally get an Olympics.. I have one concern.

This is the Summer Olympics to begin in August. Did anyone stop to consider that in the Southern Hemisphere it is late WINTER in August? :-s

Just sayin'

You think they might want to push the date back into November or December? :-k

I'm quite sure the folks planning the Olympics are a little more thoughtfull than those folks in the Gibson Marketing Dept.

I can hardly imagine planning the Olympics with a marketing group that has given us such wonderful items as The Jimi Hendrix Stratogibson, sponsoring the Experience Hendrix Tour (Fenderfest that it was), the Zoot Suit SG, and a $25.00 T-Shirt with Gibson written on it.

Um, Australia was in the Southern Hemisphere. So it has been there. It *is* the first in South America.

I too was glad Chicago did not get the bid. You know the mayor was going to stick us with bill. How much more can he jack us? I think the parking meter fiasco was the last straw for a lot of Chicagoans. Let's vote him out next election!

Um' date=' Australia was in the Southern Hemisphere. So it has been there. It *is* the first in South America.

I too was glad Chicago did not get the bid. You know the mayor was going to stick us with bill. How much more can he jack us? I think the parking meter fiasco was the last straw for a lot of Chicagoans. [/quote']

You're right. Then how come the talkin' heads said that the one compelling reason for giving the Olympics to Rio was it's position south of the equator and the derth of Olympics in the So. Hemisphere?

I suspect the talkin' heads and the O committee didn't have to know much about geography.

Actually, it's closer to the equator than New Orleans, so all should be good. I find it a bit ironic though the Summer Olympics will be held in the Winter.

What'd Tricky Ricky do to the parking meters? (so we can all have a laugh)

Let's vote him out next election!

Good luck. As long as his Daddy can still vote, he'll still be the most powerful man in the state. He's 'Untouchable'.

What'd Tricky Ricky do to the parking meters? (so we can all have a laugh)

He privatized the parking meters in Chicago for 75yrs for a one time cash injection that has done nothing but close this years budget short fall. It's another shining example of short sightedness. On top of this, the passage of this sale was done in less than two weeks. At least that is how much time he gave the aldermen to review and vote on the sale. The company that bought the meters fumbled the transition. A lot of people got erroneous parking tickets (which the city still writes and collects review on). Rates also went up 300% in most places and no more free parking holidays or Sundays.

All this and a post privatization study by the budget office showed that the city would have raked in almost twice as much money in 75yrs as what they got for the one time cash payment.

Google Chicago Parking Meters if you want to learn more.

It's that type of thinking that is so entrenched in the Chicago politics... wait... isn't our president from Chicago.

Yes and no. Yes, he cut his teeth working on the South Side, but they lifted him out of the city because he was threat. A guy like Obama could present a challenge to Dailey's rule over Chicago so they pushed him onto the national stage. Rahm Emanuel is the guy you should watch out for. He'll cut you and not even blink.

Archived