Gibson Brands Forums

1 week old Ej200 CE String buzzing

realgonekid

HI, i have a beautiful 1 week old ej200 ce acoustic, and its started buzzing ! it didnt do it at first,

and maybe now as im getting more used to it,

im playing it a bit harder?

its the low E thats doing it, even with a soft plectrum

i dont generally play hard, but its doin it anyway, and im guessing it shouldnt?!

is this down to the action? or should i get it set up right, what does this mean exactley?

i have a gig TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!! so im gutted !

Thanks for help Ian

If there is a luthier who can adjust your action today, get it done. It should only take a few minutes. However, if the problem is really bad, you might need a new saddle or worse, a neck reset. If thats not an option you can either go pick up a set of lighter gauge strings and see if that helps. Last resort, you can cut a small pice of a gum wrapper and put it in the hole for the low e string on the nut to raise the string a little bit, but that is only very very short term and by no means should you keep on doing that.

You would loosen it. However, you should get some measurements first. Here is a good guide to getting you're guitar set up the way you want it.

http://www.sheehans.com/acoustic-guitars/help/acoustic-guitar-setup

However, you really should go to a professional for this. If you are really bent on using the guitar at the gig, I would try the gum wrapper before messing with the truss rod in the short term.

If it is one week old and needs a neck reset, it needs to be returned to Gibson for repair or replacement.

To show the neck a little more relief, loosen the truss rod slightly. I would give it 1/4 to a 1/2 turn and let it sit overnight. The should take care of your low E buzz in the short term. It might be more relief than you want in the neck for a proper setup. All the adjustments are inter-related; nut slot depth, saddle height and relief are the variables. A good guitar tech should be able to dial in the perfect setup for you.

Set-Up

the answer to so many of these string buzzing threads

thanks masterchief' date=' what advice can you give me on adjusting a truss rod? will this hep the buzzing? to i tighten or losen though

?[/quote']

don't do it yourself!

you could really screw it up

Set-Up

the answer to so many of these string buzzing threads

don't do it yourself!

you could really screw it up

I guess some people just aren't good with tools! :-

I think the truss rod is something all guitarists should know how to use. It isn't difficult. Once you have your setup correct (saddle height, nut slot depth, relief - done by a pro yes!) you should be able to tweak your truss rod to flatten the neck or add relief as needed.

You've got your car all tuned up and running perfectly, the tires are balanced and the fuel/air mixture is bang on, the car is hummin'.... now for a comfortable driving position... I tweak my seat position slightly, tilt the steering wheel and adjust my mirrors (put on my Italian racing shoes and scarf starched straight back blowing in the wind).

To me the truss rod is a seat and mirror adjustment.

thanks drathbun ! i will deffinitely be taking to a professional, i LOVE this guitar, but think i am capable of tweaking it myself slightly, just one more question, it seems to have a reversed trus rod, so i make the adjusments at the tuning peg end? right, so if im looking down the neck towards the body of the guitar, do i go left to losen and right to tighten?

Thanks

Just FYI.....sometimes I see players stroke the strings with a pick at a 45 degree angle instead of perpendicular to the strings. When you stroke with the angle, you push the string DOWN (towards the fret board) also, and with the down stroke, the string vibrates away from and towards the fretboard instead of parallell with it. So it may be somewhat of a user technique that is part of the problem. Most buzzing problems are relief problems of the neck and a simple adjustment should help.

Archived