Gibson Brands Forums

Super Dove review

tattooz

I recently picked up my new Super Dove. No pics, no camera spent any extra on the Super Dove. Purchased at the Great, Great, House of Guitars in Rochester NY. These guys are incredible. They hooked me up with a beautiful guitar at a righteous price and they really know Gibsons. I have purchase my last 5 or so from them those being a J200 Custom Quilt, 2 Les Pauls, and a Blues Hawk + a ton of amps and toys.

The guitar:

It sounds as good as it looks. And it is probably one of the coolest looking acoustics out there IMHO. It is a thin body acoustic that sounds very close to a jumbo. Plugged in paired with the Fishman Pro set up it rocks. I mean it ROCKS. The power coming off of the Fishman is incredible. That with the different audio images and EQ it makes it a very versatile system. You can pull a ton of sounds out of it and playing straight with no toys it mirrors the sound of the guitar unplugged.

The guitar plays effortlessly. I was a little skeptical of such a thin body, but it is very light and very responsive. At first it felt a little neck heavy but once you get the feel for it hmmmmm..... it just sits where it should. I really don't think I would ever trade this guitar or sell it. It is quickly becoming a favorite.

If you do go to the House of Guitars talk to Curt or Bruce they are really on top of their game when it comes to Gibsons.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about adding a Super Dove .....how is that thin body sound?

I have a SJ 200 and the Dove would be for "plug ins" mostly....... I just wonder about its 'un-plugged' sound with that thin body.any thoughts...

thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new guitar! I looked at the Super Dove on Gibson's site and it looks for all the world like a cutway, shallow-bodied SJ200. Inlays, bridge, pickguard, bird's beak fingerboard.........yep......SJ200 stylings. Why is this guitar called a Dove? Looks great, tattooz gives it's sound a good review and I'm sure it's wonderful, but nothing like a Gibson Dove in shape nor appointments. No offense intended, certainly.........just curious.

I think the "Super" in the name is for its obvious Super Jumbo looks.

I wonder why it is not even mentioned on the Gibson web site. I would like to know some specs about the neck and body.

What type bracing? What size nut? scale? Where is this "Super Dove" built??? I cant seem to find anything published.

Could it be so new there is no information out yet or is it something Gibson would rather forget?

Questions but no answers......so far...8-[

I did find its built in Mont. (of course) but no specs about body and or neck and it is very new so that could explain the scarce info thats out......I still like it so far....

• 3 years later...

I recently purchased a Super Dove too and it plays great; however, I was a little disappointed in the output and presence of the Aura Pro preamp. When compared to a Fishman Prefix, the Aura Pro falls flat. I called Fishman to ask why and they told me, "yes, the Prefix has more presence and a higher output but we stopped making them." So, they stopped making, in my opinion, a better sounding preamp to save money? I'm taking out the Aura Pro and putting my old Prefix in my Super Dove.

Archived