Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody fill a deep nut slot on a GOR?

VBB

I've not worked on a GOR, nor are familiar with the specific model, BUT, I would think a nuts a nut.

A readily available household formula for filling nut slots is Super Glue mixed with baking powder.

Experiment with your mixture and get familiar with your working time and procedure before applying any to your guitar. Mask off all areas of the guitar around the work area, and even mask off the nut itself except the slot your after. Put a dab of baking powder on a piece of scap wood (or something else rigid AND disposable), add a few drops of Super Glue, and mix with a toothpick into a nice smooth paste. Press into the slot with some sort of small flat tool, and immediately clean up any excess. After it has dried, recut the slot to where it needs to be.

I believe I stole this formula and procedure from Dan Erlewein, you might check the Stew-Mac website for further information.

Would it be better to use the newer gel type super-glue? Might give it a little extra set up time???

I have never used the gel type. I would think it would be hard to mix and may work against you in all respects. Especially for thin slots you want a nice thin paste. The baking powder additive gives you the extended work time AND the thickening agent. As I said before, make a few batches and experiment with them before going for the guitar.

And remember, follow ALL standard safety procedures and precautions for working with Super Glue.

I tried to raise the action using a type of glue that was recommended. It raised the action but the strings kept slipping when tuning!

So as usual with DIY, I accepted I am useless at it and for £20 had the nut built upon and the action is cool now:d/

Matt

Archived