Gibson Brands Forums

Rack units

Silverbursted

I have used many dif digitech gsp's and they have multiple simulations for: spkr cabs, amps, pickups and all the other efx

with out all the cables etc for individual boxes. You can run direct into the computer and create the sound you would like after

some trial and error.

Just be aware - rack units CAN get out of hand.....

4971_1012514291573_1786515499_20799_5771131_n.jpg

Jees!!! Frankensteins monster.

Well I decided against the GSP1101 and went with the Rocktron Voodu Valve. The online demos have been pretty impressive, the sound and capabilities are exactly what I was looking for. I just hope it doesn't get out of hand like yours.

Oh no, this is actually for my son. He works very strange hours, and it's not unusual for him to play at 3:00 am, so he wanted something that will actually sound good without having to turn his amp way down or drag out his pedal board, plus we can start recording our stuff. He has tried a sh*t load of modeling amps, multi-effects pedals and the like, nothing has rung his bell. We decided to go in a completely different direction and started looking into what was being used in the studios, and decided to give this a try. Picked it up used on eBay, so I'm into it for less than a couple of pedals.

No worries, I'm still a direct into Marshall guy, well almost, sometimes I'll put a wah, a delay and a chorus into the loop.

Before he spends too much cash have him look into either a Line6 Pod XTLive or X3' date=' sounds like what he wants, or if there is zero chance of ever playing this live get a Line6 Bean (same floor units but in a bean looking housing).

XT

Pod X3

He's been through three Line 6 Multi-effects (Pocket Pod, XT and X3) and an amp. He's tried the GT 8 and 10, an ME70, a Behringer V-Amp and probably a few others, so far they just don't do it for him. We figure, since this is what is being used on some of his favorite bands, we're hoping this will work for us.

Silverbursted - you asked what was in the rack-o-saurus.....

From the top:

Rockman Sustainer (guitar pre-amp)

Award Sessionmaster AW10 (guitar pre-amp)

Zoom 1202 Studio (Reverb/Multi-FX)

[patchbay]

Alesis 3630 (compressor)

Behringer Ultrafex II (noise reducer/signal enhancer)

Furman TX324 X-over (used to emulate Cabinet frequency response)

Marantz EQ551 (graphic EQ analyser/controller)

Teac dbx Cassette deck

Cutec Hi-Speed four-track

Rocktron Hush IIBX (noise reducer)

Yamaha TG55 (sound module)

Roland U-110 (sound module)

Mains Power Conditioner (out of an old DEC mainframe computer)

Barcus Berry Studio 1332-1 (DI box for acoustics)

Fine in the studio, though increasingly redundant - got rid of most of it.

Since then - it has been reduced to a 6U ABS rack case,

giggable and easier to rapidly get to a sound, with:

Vintage-Amp Mk.II (guitar pre-amp)

Ibanez DM1100 (modulated digital delay line)

Yamaha FX770 (guitar multi-FX)

Behringer Ultrafex II (noise reducer/signal enhancer)

F.A.T. PCP330 Procoder (vocoder)

[patchbay]

And I am looking to reduce that even further.....

.....it's all crap really when all yah want to do is play guitar.

My Traynor YGL-3 covers most of what I want to do, the rest is just frills and frippery.

Gotta say, Silverbursted, when you get it right Less is More.

These days I find 3/4ths of the time I am just plugged straight in to the amp with a mic to record.

Occasional FX needs call up the FX unit, but like I said - down to five units these days.....

.....and reducing all the time. The right amp and some fingering technique is worth more than the rack was!

Archived