Gibson Brands Forums

GOR upgrade

niemepet

Argutus,

its very easy:

1)

SG upgrade to full Dark Fire SPECS (including Chameleon Tone Technology) is nearly impossible, because the Dark Fire is a complete new design for Les Paul models only. For example, the electronic cavity of the SG models is way less deep than the LP cavity. Also, the Toggle switch is located in this cavity, too. The new design of the complete Dark Fire System does not fit for SG.

It may be possible by moving the toggle to the LP toggle position, and by using short threaded pots...

Very likely that there are other points which I am not aware of at the moment!

All of this requires major routing work... I would call that "destructive".

Most of the above is due to Dark Fires Chameleon Tone Technology and the respective electronic hardware.

This could be left out:

2)

It would be possible to have an Upgrade Kit to Dark Fire´s Tuning Specs only (no Chameleon Tone Technology!!).

Therefore the cavity dimensions and the toggle switch position would not be a deal breaker, even SG, Explorer and FV models would be possible to upgrade, for example by using adapted headstock Contacting PCBs, like the different GOR models used to have. Also, Bridge and tail stud spacings are the same and would fit.

Long story short: The electronic hardware for the Chameleon Tone makes the difference due to existing cavity space.

Tronical

You play. We tune.

Thanks for answering so quickly!

Thanks for your patients!

So as I understand it. I can upgrade to the new smaller faster Dark fire robo tuners without the Chameleon Tone Technology, This is possible with an SG.

Am I correct on this?

-Tom

What I read is that info as possible to be spent with the new systems and mechanical tuning faster.

For Tone Chameleon is impossible because the Dark Fire was dug in a particular way and the robot has no room to receive these items.

But how ordered and fitted to the new system of mechanical and Where.

It is also noteworthy that the third generation of robot annotation informally by the staff of Gibson at the end of 2009.

Three staff member confided to me there.

To see the innovations it will be and if the upgrade will be possible for the First Robot and Dark Fire §

• 3 weeks later...

Tronical,

Why is the complete dark fire upgrade that is installable in virtually every Les Paul only going to be available to those who bought the first run? I own a silverburst LP Robot and i feel that i am entitled to a complete upgrade as well because when i bought my silverburst the technology was still new and i was still taking a gamble. Thanks.

- Ben

Jingo,

Re:

"Why is the complete dark fire upgrade that is installable in virtually every Les Paul only going to be available to those who bought the first run? I own a silverburst LP Robot and i feel that i am entitled to a complete upgrade as well because when i bought my silverburst the technology was still new and i was still taking a gamble."

That question can be answered by Gibson only.

Tronical

You play. We tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived