Gibson Brands Forums

I am Eyeing a Les Paul Custom Korina.

GibsonByBirth

Have you even heard of these? I just came across an add for 1. I have never seen them anywere. Any one with experience with these want to enlighten us?

Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom Korina Electric Guitar

The Custom Korina Electric Guitar is an unusual Les Paul visually and tonally. It features a carved maple top, and korina back and neck with an ebony fingerboard. It is loaded with a Gibson 498T humbucking pickup in the neck position and a Gibson 490R humbucker in the bridge for a broad range of tones, A vintage-style ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge and Grover tuners ensure proper intonation an rock-solid tuning. Aesthetic appointments include gold hardware, multi-ply body binding, single-ply neck binding, pearl block fingerboard inlays, and a split diamond inlay on the headstock.

Used to create some of the most legendary Gibsons of all time, the rare and elegant, Korina wood (also known as African limba) possesses some similarities to mahogany, particularly in its warmth and resonance, but it also yields degrees of clarity, definition, and sustain that are all its own. It is a fine-grained wood that is lighter in weight and color than mahogany and is considered by luthiers to be slightly brighter and sweeter in tone, but somewhat more difficult to work with.

591872jpg.jpg

However I am intrigued by' date=' "is considered by luthiers to be slightly brighter and sweeter in tone".[/quote']

That doesn't mean anything. If 99 people prefer korina but I prefer mahogany, mahogany is the better wood as far as I'm concerned.

It looks like a regular Custom with an ABR-1 bridge. If korina does sound different, I doubt you can't get a very similar tone from your black Custom by simply adjusting your amp's controls. It does look like a very nice guitar, though.

Archived