Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone changed strings to 11's?

VBB

Wondering how the tone is compared to 10's? I get compliments on the full and warm sound of my GOR, even from other LP players, but wondering if there is much of a difference going up to 11's. Some people say there is a huge improvement in sound, but others say not noticable. Also, did the auto tuning still work well?

Hi, I play slide and standard guitar so I settled on replacing the G -B -E strings from a .011 set and kept the bottom 3 strings from a .010 set for easy bends. Just had to reset the intonation. Now the sound of my leads on the top 3 strings seem to jump out in comparison. Tuning works the same. I highly recommend it

Hi' date=' I play slide and standard guitar so I settled on replacing the G -B -E strings from a .011 set and kept the bottom 3 strings from a .010 set for easy bends. Just had to reset the intonation. Now the sound of my leads on the top 3 strings seem to jump out in comparison. Tuning works the same. I highly recommend it[/quote']

Hi Klaus

Don't you mean the E, A and D being from the 0.11 set? I only ask as you wouldn't be bending the low strings like the high's would you?

I have had the best results from having the three bass strings from a 0.11 set and the top three from a 0.10 set.

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

"so I settled on replacing the G -B -E strings from a .011 set and kept the bottom 3 strings from a .010 set for easy bends."

I think he meant he replaced the G B E strings from a .011 set and when he said he kept the bottom 3, I think he meant he used the bottom 3 from a set of 10's. Bottom of course while you're holding the guitar right handed (what I call the top three or the thinnest three)

I had to re-read it a couple times too.

But thanks for the suggestion, Klaus

Hi,guys, Sorry for the confusion. I use the G -B -E from the .011. Since I play slide in a couple of tunings , where a slightly larger string can make a vast difference to the sustain. Then I use the E - A -D from the .010 set for more accurate and EASIER bends when I do a bend > tap > pull- off .

• 1 month later...
Re:

"...and it seems to tune quicker to me...."

Yes' date=' thats correct.

The higher the string gage the more pressure you get on the string bar / ceramic piezo, the result is a more tight, longer and sustained tone and frequency detection... hence it tunes quicker!

Tronical

You play. We tune.

[/quote']

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived