Gibson Brands Forums

How to shoot good pictures of your guitars.

Wally Walrus

The most important thing to have in a camera? Something that records an image. A good photographer can do something regardless. A $25' date='000 rig is no better than a $100 rig in the hands of a snapshooter and a $100 camera will inevitably result in a pro shot by a pro shooter.

[/quote']

+1. Milod, that's a great point.

I just got myself a high end Canon Digital Video Camera and knew there were lens filters for doing different things, so after a bit of research, I've acquired a rotating polarising lens - the rotating part helps to enhance different colours in the spectrum, I've also ordered a lens hood to reduce the influence from stray light into the lense, and I'm looking @ getting a UV filter to reduce the harshness of bright sunlight - first outdoor video I shot with the polarizer was very good, and you can see the colours changing as you turn the dial. A good camera is a huge plus, but it's the filters that make a huge difference to what goes into the lens.

Use natural light as often as you can' date=' but avoid direct sunlight if possible.[/quote']

You can get a decent shot no matter what the lighting conditions are. They'll just look different.

Same guitar...

Sunlight, about an hour before sunset...

lpmb_03.jpg

Indoors, with flash...

mb_13.jpg

Taken about 30 seconds after the previous photo.

Indoors, no flash, sitting next to a window on a rainy day...

mb_12.jpg

...I changed my user name because it was confusing to have a Guitar Slinger and a guitarslinger in the same forum.

So....

...and JUST as I was considering changing my user name to "wallywalrus"....

Anyway, thanks for a great thread. I've got what I think is a pretty good camera, but what I know are sorry photographic skills and technique. I'm going to try to learn something....

...and JUST as I was considering changing my user name to "wallywalrus"....

Anyway' date=' thanks for a great thread. I've got what I think is a pretty good camera, but what I know are sorry photographic skills and technique. I'm going to try to learn something....[/quote']

Mr.Natural, now you've joined the thread, did you got all anwers related to lefthanded photo shooting? Don't think so...no?

mydayisgood...

The UV or "skylight" filter has a different, and huge, reason for being: Protecting your lens.

I've always worn one on every lens I've owned. So far I've had two smashed in ways that would have destroyed the "front" element of a pretty expensive bit of glass, but thanks to the skylight filter, only had a major problem getting that add-on outer bit of glass off the lens.

A polarizing filter can really help with glare and reflection, too...

m

Archived