Gibson Brands Forums

little help

kydog

have a chance to purchase a gibson j-50 when I looked it over, found the gibson logo on the head stock, gibson logo on the trust rod cover, gibson oval (peach) tag inside with gibson j-50 - serial number containing eight didgets- made in bozeman montana USA . did not find imprinted serial number on back of head stock or inside. wondering if this is a fake sorry no photo's as I have not purchased as of yet.

It doesn't sound very good based on the info you gave. They generally have a serial number on the back of the headstock and they don't usually say Gibson on the truss rod cover. I'd proceed with caution and find a way to show us pics before you hand over one thin dime.

I agree with KSD. Gibson always has the serial number somewhere. Mostly imprinted on the back of the headstock. The True Vintage line of guitars has the number imprinted on the neck block inside the sound hole. No number-no purchase! And I've never seen a Gibson logo on ANY truss rod cover. Take your money and run!

If you confirmed it as a fake, thats great. However, let me warn you. I had a 2007 J-185 recently that I sold. However, at first I couldn't see the stamping on the back of the headstock. I was a little worried about it but Gibson confirmed its authenticity. Later, I looked in better light and could see the serial number and the "Made in the USA" on the back. It turns out the lacquer was a little thick there and with the dark mahogany made the serial difficult to see when the light was slightly poor. My point is: make sure you check in good light and rotate the guitar so you can see the light reflect off it. They are not always easy to see.

Can you see the serial number? Trust me its there.

DSC00509.jpg

Archived