Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 w/rosewood back and sides?

brrobert

Bob,

Where you been AT, bro'??! :-)

Yes, they make and have made J-185s in rosewood. And you're right, some of them were Custom Shop models, others were "Well, let's go ahead and try a small batch of these....", etc.

My first J-185 was a 1995 model I bought new from Elderly. At the time, they "did not make J-185s", that is, they were not "on the production list". But I happened across a small batch of J-185s that they decided to make, and Elderly received a few of them. I had my choice of a blonde maple one and a sunburst rosewood one.

I bought the r/w model:

96GibsonJ-185RosewoodVSx2.jpg

That one ended up stolen about 1997-ish.

Sounded very nice, and had the BEST neck ever on it, but was not as 'robust' in voice, shall we say, as many of the J-185s I've owned and played afterwards.

Fred

Thanks for the help!

Fred' date=' that guitar is great looking.... Are you a J-185 guy exclusively now? You used to be big in the world of Super Jumbos....[/quote']

Hey Bob.

No, I am not 'exclusive' to J-185s, but I do count them among my favourite body styles, in the world of guitars.

I have four in the body style at this time, and only one's a J-185. This is the most recent one, a J-200Jr, which -- as you know -- is based on the incomparable J-185:

IMGP1253.jpg

It's a red spruce top over maple, but with different bling and a long scale.

And the quest for the perfect Bigsby-equipped Gretsch, how is that going?

Fred

Thanks for the help!

Fred' date=' that guitar is great looking.... Are you a J-185 guy exclusively now? You used to be big in the world of Super Jumbos....[/quote']

Hey Bob.

No, I am not 'exclusive' to J-185s, but I do count them among my favourite body styles, in the world of guitars.

I have four in the body style at this time, and only one's a J-185. This is the most recent one, a J-200Jr, which -- as you know -- is based on the incomparable J-185:

IMGP1253.jpg

It's a red spruce top over maple, but with different bling and a long scale.

And the quest for the perfect Bigsby-equipped Gretsch, how is that going?

Fred

I've got a J185 Custom cutaway which has Rosewood back and sides. 2006 model. Just bought it off the shelf.

Customs have a diamond inlay in the head. A really beautiful guitar - sound wise and to play. I love mine and the body shape is really comfortable.

Last week I played (not mine!) an L4 Acoustic. Looked a lot like a J185. Maybe the neck was a bit thicker??

I have a RW J-185 (from Custom Shop) that I bought a couple of years ago. Very nice although I've never reallly played it in favor of other guitars.... I especially like the black faced Holly peghead veneer that they used (instead of the fiber) which is reminiscent of older Gibsons.... I'd put it in the for sale section if I knew what to reasonably ask for it.

Cheers, Cryoman

I have a RW J-185 (from Custom Shop) that I bought a couple of years ago. Very nice although I've never reallly played it in favor of other guitars.... I especially like the black faced Holly peghead veneer that they used (instead of the fiber) which is reminiscent of older Gibsons....

Cheers' date=' Cryoman[/quote']

Yeah, I wish they would use that holly peghead veneer more -- it has a nicer look than the often-opaque-black treatment. I think I saw that (holly or holly-like veneer) more in the late 90s.

Fred

Greetings,

I happen to have a J-185 EC Rosewood that was special ordered for me earlier this year. I abolutely love it. Read my review of this guitar in the products section of gibson.com. Here's a picture.

Sandy

IMG_0809.jpg?t=1257052036

This is my little beauty! These are really very special guitars

IMG_0119.jpg

I recently replaced the bridge pins with bone pins from Stewmac. I really enjoy the change. Just a little difference but I can notice it. Just makes the sound a little less twangy and more distinct. Maybe a richer sound.

Archived