Gibson Brands Forums

VINTAGE GUITAR**RANT**

retrorod

I would like a chance to vent a little about a 'trend' that I am seeing more of lately. Here is a link to the 'subject' of my rant...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1965-1967-Gibson-ES-125-TDC-PROJECT-GUITAR-60s_W0QQitemZ230239432217QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you would read this guys ad...you would be told that the guitar was nice player when he got it. That was before the 'prick' got his meathooks on it! Read his 'other items' for sale and you can buy back whats left of the parts that he ripped off it, for your 'project guitar'. What an A-hole! I wouldn,t buy saw-dust from the jerk!

I understand the rationale....the sum of the parts worth more than the whole....BUT I don,t like it!

I'll never feel guilty about 'hoarding' nice original vintage pieces even if they might not get played but once a year...if I can keep them out of the hands of whores like that!

SOB couldn,t even leave a strap button on the freakin' guitar...Jeesh!

Thanks for listening...I feel better now(sort of)...RRod

Hey retrorod--

I feel your pain. I am amazed at this creep. From the looks of the parts and body, he had a complete vintage thinline ES-125 in fantastic condition, and he tore it apart. I'm shocked: I have a hard time seeing the beat-up ones parted out--never should a near mint or even excellent vintage guitar be torn up. He's probably going to use the money to buy a super-Strat or something stupid like that.

Actually, I doubt this guitar is worth more in its parts than whole. He probably stopped at a Guitar Center, got totally low-balled on a trade, and didn't bother to see that he is destroying something that the right buyer would pay $2000 or so for. He'll be lucky to get $800 for the body and the parts, which probably will add up after shipping, etc. to what Guitar Center offered him in the first place. Frankly, none of the parts will have proper provenance so here an all-original guitar is being reduced to nothing but an original body because no one will be able to prove the parts are from an ES-125TDC once he sells them.

A major bummer, and as you said, it reminds me why we should hang onto our vintage guitars.

Ignatius

Thanks Ignatius, for understanding!

I understand, in some circumstances, that it would be, acceptable to gut a guitar. But this guitar 'looks' to be in nice shape...ie: not crushed,stripped and re-painted with black bed-liner, submerged in water, etc. !

I 'm willing to bet, the stripping process began when this MORON or one before him, decided to yank the wiring harness to possibly do a repair.....and then couldn't get it back in the guitar. That is no easy task! I have performed that process a couple of times....and it was QUITE tedious and trying!

I am also willing to bet that the body alone will sell for $500 +! I haven,t added it up....but I think that all the repro replacement parts would add up considerably as well as the labor in putting in that troublesome wiring harness! That is....assuming someone would put it back to its (original....sigh) 'look'. Unfortunately, the next 'hack' will probably install strat single coils and a Floyd Rose whammy with a locking nut....Aaaaargh....I,m getting worked up again.

Ill look at the bright side of this! Maybe....just maybe....someone has all the original parts for a '65 ES-125 TDC....AND...all they need is to add a body.....! Holy Cow! Woudn't that be somethin'????

As a side note....I have some single ring tulip button Klusons for a '58 ES-335 for sale...Blah...blah...blah O:)

I'd never hack up a vintage piece that was intact. However, if I were handed a '58 335 with a cleated headstock, routed for a middle humbucker, and refinished with a broom, I'd have no problem with it. I guess what I'm saying is, it ain't always black and white.

A few months ago I was rebuilding an old Fender 12 string. It had six of the original rusty bent marginally functional Klusons on it. I sold those six and bought a full set of 12 repro Klusons and had enough for pizza and a couple day's gas money. Now I have a guitar that stays in tune. It's worthless like all Rossmiesel Fender acoustics from the 60s (I have three!) so it's kinda moot I guess.

A few times in the last couple years I've picked up Mexican Strats and parted them. They're worth about $200 intact and $300 in pieces.

While I agree that a person has every right to do whatever he/she wants with his/her property, this sort of thing really makes me sad.

I could never strip my ES-330 for its parts even though I saw a replacement bridge sell for $200. (I spent $300 for the guitar about 20 years ago).

I also feel the same way when I see saxophones or other musical instruments made into lamps or other home decorative accessories.

Please, let us all have a moment of silence for the poor, deceased ES125

Notes

"Nice,solid guitar...Just needs parts!" Duuuhhhh....I wunder where the parts went....I wunder where the parts went... Makes me wanna PUKE:-& :-&

Like ya said ksdaddy "it ain't always black and white". We don,t know whats on both sides of the nickel.

It seems like most vintage guitars these days are missing some part or parts of originality! This one, is missing every last one of them. I bet he even sucked-up the sawdust from the screwholes and bottled it and put it on Ebay!

In this case...Its like ....if I were to auction my '69 J160E. But before doing so...changed the original tuners to repros...and stated that they were repros. Then ran a separate auction for the original tuners that came from the guitar!

Actually, that seems like a pretty good idea...$$$$....Lemme get my screwdriver....and while I'm at it....hmmm, bet that P-90 might fetch a pretty good bid on the vintage market....

Catch my drift? A perfectly great ORIGINAL vintage Gibson....turned into NOT 100% original....But wait...you can buy these tuners and pickup and make it original again.......STOP the INSANITY

My new Battle Cry.....DON,T GUT THE GIBSONS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1965-1967-Gibson-ES-125-TDC-PROJECT-GUITAR-60s_W0QQitemZ230239432217QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived