Gibson Brands Forums

!!!42' Banner J-45 vs. 08' J-45 True Vintage Red Spruce!!!

steve.owen

Some comparison photos of 2 unbelievably great sounding guitars. One set the bar acoustic guitars would be measured against for years to come. One made 66 years later....

The differences seem to be mostly necessary improvements:

-thinner neck and truss rod

-newer style bridge for support

-3 layer rosette not 7

-tortoise shell pickguard vs. tiger-stripe (both non-improvements in my opinion)

Notable things they share:

-Solid Red Spruce top

-tuning keys

-body binding

-bone nut and saddle

-nitro tobacco sunburst finish

-internal cross braces

-"only a gibson is good enough" logo on headstock

J-45 TV Red Spruce

P1010484.jpg

42' Banner J-45

P1010382.jpg

TV(with case)

J-45TV.jpg

42' Banner

P1010334.jpg

TV cross braces

P1010489.jpg

42' Banner cross braces

P1010456.jpg

TV pickguard/rosette

P1010488.jpg

42' Banner pickguard/rosette

P1010422.jpg

TV Headstock

P1010485.jpg

42' Banner Headstock

P1010471.jpg

This topic took me about an hour... Hope You enjoy it!

The banner is a little warmer... not as crisp, even with new strings. I think because the finish is so broken down. It's a great collectors piece. I'd rather play the TV for sound. The banner is what it is tho. Haven't seen another one out there like it.

Recently sold the banner to Eric Shoenburg in Tiburon, ca. He's doing some work on it, then probably putting it up for sale. I love the TV but would consider selling it for a fair price. The 42's were made with the tiger stripe guard for the first half of the year before replacing it with the tortoise shell guard. The J-45 TV is the best sounding/playing acoustic I've played.

I've never played a TV VOS but I bet they are nice playing and sounding guitars. Now my rant. Why doesn't Gibson put their headstock decal on an angle like the originals had. Also if they are trying to replicate a 40's Banner why does it have a belly bridge and not even a thru saddle. Now I know the Legend is suppose to replicate a 1942 Banner and it actually does pretty well. Maybe a TV VOS is suppose to be a collection of different eras of vintage Gibsons ?

I've never played a TV red spruce but I bet they are nice playing and sounding guitars. Now my rant. Why doesn't Gibson put their headstock decal on an angle like the originals had. Also if they are trying to replicate a 40's Banner why does it have a belly bridge and not even a thru saddle. Now I know the Legend is suppose to replicate a 1942 Banner and it actually does pretty well. Maybe a TV red spruce is suppose to be a collection of different eras of vintage Gibsons ?

I've never played a TV red spruce but I bet they are nice playing and sounding guitars. Now my rant. Why doesn't Gibson put their headstock decal on an angle like the originals had. Also if they are trying to replicate a 40's Banner why does it have a belly bridge and not even a thru saddle. Now I know the Legend is suppose to replicate a 1942 Banner and it actually does pretty well. Maybe a TV red spruce is suppose to be a collection of different eras of vintage Gibsons ?

Right, the TV is an amalgam of different features meant to represent the best of the J45 throughout the years; it's not suppossed to be a reissue of a particular year, like the Legend.

Red 333

Right, the TV is an amalgam of different features meant to represent the best of the J45 throughout the years; it's not supposed to be a reissue of a particular year, like the Legend.

Yes, but why not use the smaller, rectangular bridge? Were the bellied bridges really an improvement?

Gibson still uses the rectangular bridge on the J-35 reissues and AJs..

And why NOT slant the decal?! =P~

Dave in SLC

In theory, the extra wood on the belly up bridge is suppossed to prevent the top from bellying between the bridge and the sound hole. It's certainly become the standard since '53 or so, except for on more period exact reissues, like the AJ, J35, and Legend, as you pointed out.

As has been discussed, the TV is like the ultimate J45, with features from a variety of periods.

Despite the banner and script logo on the headstock, some elements represent the 50's more than the wartime period. The TV has 20 frets, which the J45 didn't have until 1955 or so (the Legend does have 19 frets). What about those individual tuners? I can't recall when the J45 actually got them, but it would have been after 1946 for sure. The neck is also thinner than a 40's neck (at least a wartime one) from what I can tell, which many players prefer.

I guess it's personal preference whether Montana actually selected all "the best" of the best and put it into the TV, but their choices certainly resulted in an excellent instrument. I'm glad it looks like they'll be keeping them in production every year.

Red 333

I agree with you guys about the TV being a "best of" model. I think gibson has made a great guitar in the TV. If You want an exact replica of a banner model, why not just purchase the real thing? There are plenty available out there. I plan on purchasing another one in the future.

Archived