Gibson Brands Forums

Best Independent Repair Shops in USA

Uncle Albert

The best repair "shop" that I know of is Gryphon in Palo Alto. Their repair facility is run by Frank Ford, familiar to many people as the repairman responsible for the wonderful www.frets.com website. Unfortunately, Gryphon is so overrun with demand that they no longer take guitars from out of the area. So, if you don't live in the SF Bay Area, your out of luck as far as Gryphon is concerned, but if you do, get yourself down to Palo Alto pronto.

So, where do you live? There are many excellent and experienced repair guys around the country, and maybe someone can recommend someone that's close to you.

The best repair "shop" that I know of is Gryphon in Palo Alto. Their repair facility is run by Frank Ford' date=' familiar to many people as the repairman responsible for the wonderful www.frets.com website. ... [/quote']

Frank listed his "favorite, trusted luthiers" in a post to a therad on the UMGF a couple of years ago.

Joe Glaser, Nashville

Larry Cohea, El Cerrito, CA

Dan Erlewine, Athens, OH

Alan Perlman, San Francisco

Amy Hopkins, New Freedom, PA

Jeez, I just started my list of folks who hadn't been mentioned and realized that

there are so many fine luthiers out there I couldn't begin to list all the ones who

have impressed me! I'd better stop here or I'll be at this all night.

This post was a ways into the thread and, as the quotation suggests, there were some excellent luthiers who didn't make Frank's list only because they'd already been recommended. Still, there's a list of five who have the Frank Ford Seal of Approval for you.

-- Bob R

I have two favorites out here in seattle-- but that won't do if you want a local person!

My suggestion-- call or stop by a reputable vintage dealer and ask who they use for repairs and restoration. (More than likely, you'll find that the repair person is not the same as their top drawer restoration person.)

I don't think I'd even consider buying the old guitars that I do without having a great source for repair work.

There are quite a few reputable repair folks out there. However when getting repairs done remember the old saying, "Cheap, Fast, Good....Pick any two that you want". Elderly Instruments does excellent work. They give you a price and a time schedule and generally stick to it.

Good Luck

Fred

Archived