Gibson Brands Forums

Using 10's and enjoying the guitar.

DonCarlos

We hear a lot about increasing the string gauge size, but I have gone the opposite direction and am using 10's. Has the volume suffered? Not that much if any, since I am using PINZ bridge pins.

I am again pleased to pick up the guitar and play and play and play (ain't that what it's all about). I guess I have been spoiled by being a strat player for too many years, and the J45 feels much more comfortable and enjoyable to fool around with.

So decreasing the gauge has worked for me, not saying that it's the thing for everyone, but for me it has been a nice transition. :-k

We hear a lot about increasing the string gauge size' date=' but I have gone the opposite direction and am using 10's. Has the volume suffered? Not that much if any, since I am using PINZ bridge pins.

I am again pleased to pick up the guitar and play and play and play (ain't that what it's all about). I guess I have been spoiled by being a strat player for too many years, and the J45 feels much more comfortable and enjoyable to fool around with.

So decreasing the gauge has worked for me, not saying that it's the thing for everyone, but for me it has been a nice transition. :-k

[/quote']

With you 100% on this DC!

I think that a player should "feel" the guitar and accordingly all this crap about " A J45 should be strung with 013s" is completely subjective!

OK A purist might say that my J45 was built for 013s and my habit ( of nearly 30 years) of stringing it with 010s is damging the guitar and losing projection!

Hey my guitar is MY guitar and it projects to ME!!

Good for you as you say not for everyone but we are NOT everyone!

I say use whatever wires feel and sound good to you!

I love D'Addario EJ16 12s, I find they sound good on 99% of guitars, but on my former Dove they sounded like absolute junk! I strung it up with a set of Martin bronze 11s and it sounded terrific. Go figure.

I was a Les Paul player for most of my younger years, and my first decent acoustic was a Kiso Suzuki Hummingbird copy. I strung it with 10s for years and played the hell out of it-it sounded amazing and played like butter, and I wrote 150+ songs with it, recorded various singles and albums with it and finally passed it on to a friend who plays the hell out of it too. All this with 10s on it!

My Hummingbird and SJ200 sing like kings with 12s, but that's just what suits me and my current guitars. I certainly don't subscribe to this "an SJ200 must be strung with the hawsers from Brunel's strongest suspension bridge, otherwise it doesn't qualify as a guitar, it is still a tree" frame of mind. Do what works for you and enjoy the hell out of that gorgeous J45!

I say use whatever wires feel and sound good to you!

I love D'Addario EJ16 12s' date=' I find they sound good on 99% of guitars, but on my former Dove they sounded like absolute junk! I strung it up with a set of Martin bronze 11s and it sounded terrific. Go figure.

I was a Les Paul player for most of my younger years, and my first decent acoustic was a Kiso Suzuki Hummingbird copy. I strung it with 10s for years and played the hell out of it-it sounded amazing and played like butter, and I wrote 150+ songs with it, recorded various singles and albums with it and finally passed it on to a friend who plays the hell out of it too. All this with 10s on it!

My Hummingbird and SJ200 sing like kings with 12s, but that's just what suits me and my current guitars. I certainly don't subscribe to this "an SJ200 must be strung with the hawsers from Brunel's strongest suspension bridge, otherwise it doesn't qualify as a guitar, it is still a tree" frame of mind. Do what works for you and enjoy the hell out of that gorgeous J45! [/quote']

As ever ( well mostly!!) sanity comes from Bournemouth!

Archived