Gibson Brands Forums

What Strings on Your Gibson Acoustic(s)?

Greg Ferguson

After being in the coated strings sound dead camp for many years, I switched to Elixir Nano PB 13's on my J-45 and have been very impressed. The strings sound great on the lower strings (my complaint with other coated strings) and seem to last much longer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked in a music store for ten years and tried alot of different strings, and according to a washburn rep there are only a few actual manufacturers of strings. Having said, my favorite is GHS Phosphour Bronze True Medium(TM335) for my Gibson square-shouldered dread w/mohagany body. The True Medium would be considered a "bluegrass" gauge by other companies (13, 17, 24, 32, 42, 56). And, while I'll admit that I don't change them as often as I probably should, the darn things just never break.

Reviving this thread to ask for some examples of nickel wound strings for my J45. What strings are you nickel-wound fan using?

Thanks.

Bo

I use John Pearse Pure Nickel Mediums on both my Nick Lucas Elite and J-185. These are mediums that play like lights, because they exert less pull on the top. I find that these strings are nice on Maple, but sound best on Mahogany guitars.

I admit to being not very experimental with strings. Once I find something I like, that's pretty much it for a long time. Used to be D'Addario EXP 16's or 17's, but for the last couple of years it's been Curt Mangan PB 12-54's on pretty much everything. Nice warm tone, like the feel, and they seem to last longer than the EXP's. Not very expensive either (I buy them in bulk). I sent a set to suburude to try on his new Greven LOOv, so maybe when he's had a chance to try them out he'll post a review. In the mean time, I'm thinking of trying the John Pearse Nickel mediums on the LG-2 that Modac mentions above. If anyone else has some suggestions for strings to try on that old box, I'd like to hear it.

I finally tried a set of John Pearce 12's (600L) Phosphorous Bronze. I put them on my J185. Up until now I'd been mostly using Martin SP's 12's but had tried a couple of others such as Ernie Balls, Gibson. I still like the Martins but I also like the John Pearse. They seem very even not too bright and a have warm mellow sound. Interested in your views??

Archived