Gibson Brands Forums

Another Side of Jack White

suburude63

Thanks - I liked this far better than his electric stuff although I am still not convinced he is "the real deal" - especially when compared to folks like Hazel Dickens and Alice Gerard.

What exactly are you saying when you say the real deal ?? What does that mean?

Hes an excellent guitar player ! Hes creative , writes imaginative songs! Is incredibly well respected among very good guitar players!

Sounds pretty real to me :-s

What exactly does it take to be considered the "real deal"?

i use this term to describe someone who seems authentic and genuine. jack's persona always seemed contrived to me. but i'm starting to see some substance beneath his style - due in part to the movie (it might get loud) and all the flak i'm taking from friends who think he is a demigod. lol.

he won me over in one scene of the movie where it is just him, a guitar, a pencil, notebook and an old reel-to-reel. he pens a tune in the most basic way. i began to respect him and his craft at that moment.

Its not a Gibson . Jack loves playing yard sale guitars ' date=' really! This on has a tail peice .[/quote']

are you sure? seems like the early script logo (same as the one on the AJ and Nick Lucas) to me and an amber burst, same as the early L-1s. i can be wrong though..

It is an early 30s 13 fret Gibson Nick Lucas with tailpiece. Most were rosewood bodied. Bob Dylan's Nick Lucas was a 13 fret rosewood Nick Lucas with modified top and pin bridge.

The tailpiece and arch top bridge are original.

Terry

It is an early 30s 13 fret Gibson Nick Lucas with tailpiece. Most were rosewood bodied. Bob Dylan's Nick Lucas was a 13 fret rosewood Nick Lucas with modified top and pin bridge.

Terry

Thanks Terry you are right! I did not know they made a 13fret ?

I have a 13 fret Santa Cruz H 13 I love!

Terry

ah! i knew it would have to be something like that. thought it was a L1 cause of the archtop like pickguard. the 13 fret Lucas was an option some years ago at the custom shop, sadly the bursts can't even touch what folks were doing back then. wonderful burst on this one, just beautiful.

The Real Deal -

Again, I think Jack White is a talented guy and I enjoyed the acoustic cut.

Ralph Stanley's authobiography gets to the core of what I mean far better than I can explain it. His bluegrass and old timey music like the blues is not something that somebody teaches you or learn off a record. What separates a guy like Stanley from Jack White is that Stanley's music comes out of the way he lived and has a sense of place and time.

Jack White is certainly a talented acolyte but Ralph Stanley he ain't.

Archived