Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone seen an ES with the top removed (& neck attached)?

brundaddy

I'm curious about the neck joint on semi-hollow & full-hollow ES Gibsons. Can anyone share interior or topless pics (or anything) that offer a good view of the neck joint? This seems tricky to find on Google. Thanks!

got a vid :

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

well thats a 339' date=' but there's more

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK94o8vS8IQ[/YOUTUBE]

The rest of this series is somewhere on the web, I'll try to get a link for you. It documents the whole process or most of it, so somewhere there must be what you are looking for.

http://odeo.com/episodes/22156044-Making-Of-The-Gibson-Custom-ES-335

The other vids are in the scroll down video selection menu to the right.

Hmm... thanks for looking. Photos would be ideal so we could get a grip on how Gibson joins the neck to the body (although anything's better than nothing!).

I imagine the neck joint on a semi-hollow would be similar, if not identical, to a LP.

What I really wonder is how it's done on a hollowbody, such as a 175.

Hmm... thanks for looking. Photos would be ideal so we could get a grip on how Gibson joins the neck to the body (although anything's better than nothing!).

I imagine the neck joint on a semi-hollow would be similar' date=' if not identical, to a LP.

What I [u']really[/u] wonder is how it's done on a hollowbody, such as a 175.

I would imagiine on a 335 the joint would be similar to a LP usin the block inside as the joint

An 175, maybe like an acoustic?

I would imagiine on a 335 the joint would be similar to a LP usin the block inside as the joint

An 175' date=' maybe like an acoustic?[/quote']

Having poked around in my ES-175 reissue quite a few times (pulling wiring harness, installing

a sound post ,etc.) 175's are definitely built more like an acoustic. One block large enough to route a

dovetail or similar slot that the neck heel slides into, something like 3 x 4 x 2" or so thick.

I've often fantasized about re-doing the neck joint on my 175 reissue to make the heel / tongue

nice and shallow with a steeper set angle like the originals, but I'm gonna leave well enough alone. :)

If I still lived near my old man with his woodshop and spray booth I'd totally go for it and make a

full 295 conversion. :)

I'm curious too. Mind you, I hope I don't need to be. Not for a long while yet. I just bought a lovely 63 ES 12T in Austin and a friend brought it back to the UK for me. Damn me, if it didn't come out of the case perfectly in tune - as it left Texas. Not only is it very hardy for such a light weight guitar, the intonation, with its beautifully shaped wooden bridge, is much more accurate than some of my more sophisticated modern instruments. A perfect balance of string height, guage, fret depth and the all important offsets on the bridge. Provided the feedback doesn't get too much, it's coming out to play for the next round of gigs. Love to all. Simon. Bue Bishops

Archived