Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrading from Epiphone LP Ultra to Gibson - but which?

kspeed

Hi All,

I'm considering trading in my 2007 Epi LP Ultra for a Gibson LP of some sort under $2000 new. I'm an experienced player of about 14 years and play everything from blues to metal, but the Gibby would see mostly rock/hard rock action tuned to E or D#.

I mainly play Ibanez and Fender (blasphemy, I know!), so I generally prefer a cleaner, crisper tone than the Epiphone could offer. The reason I'm upgrading is that it sounds a bit too bassy/boomy, and quickly picked notes tend to bleed together due to this model's unusual acoustic chambers.

The intro to Paradise City is a decent example of the clean tone I'm looking for out of an LP. Not twangy or treble-heavy (got my Tele and Strat for that), but still bright and articulate. I probably don't want anything without a solid maple top as I already have an all-mahogany Ibanez S for dark, metal-ish crunch. The neck profile isn't a big concern as I'm comfortable with any sort of C or V shaped neck, thick or thin (nothing flat-bottomed or U shaped, though). Body binding, gold hardware, etc, are of no concern.

Being that this would be my first real LP, what would you all recommend?

Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded. I think it costs about $1,700 and it is extremely good for the price. The only thing is that it has a 50's neck, so you'll have to try one out first to see if you like it. In fact, go to a local store and play every Les Paul there. That's a better idea.

If you have $1700, go for the Standard Faded. I have one and it plays and feels fantastic. Just this week I returned a gloss LP Standard; it did not sound as awesome as my Faded. Do not be scared of the 50s neck, it really isn't that big.

If you have a lower budget, I would consider the LP Studio VM if you want a vintage feel (BB Pros) or the regular Studio for a bit more of a modern feel (490/498). Another option might be the BFG. I have not had the pleasure of playing one, but much like the Standard Faded, everyone of owns a BFG seems to love them.

Of course, ulitimately you will have to play them to decide. But I recommend the Standard Faded to anyone who will listen.

Are you looking to buy new? I bought my 2005 Desertburst Standard for £720 second hand ($1500). I gather the prices are even better where you are.

Do be careful though, there are plenty of fake Les Pauls circulating. If you do buy second hand, take your time and know your subject really well.

All the guitars mentioned above are superb. Don't rule out SGs, Vs or Explorers. Although I'd have to change the p/ups on a V or Explorer if it was my own, as the ceramic magnet p/ups supplied on them are very hot.

If you've made up your mind that its a Les Paul for you then take your time and enjoy the hunt!

Archived