Gibson Brands Forums

Dobro Help

aguiarmusic

Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask something. Here's the deal.

I want a resonator guitar. I really like bluegrass, country, blues and all the kinds of music you can play with it, since I already have a regular acoustic and an eletric. I'm thinking Hound Dog Dobro (regular, round neck, probably made in china), the one that's around 579 bucks (I'm broke). First I was thinking about buying a usa hand made republic, that is 100 buck more, but there are no sound samples on the web and I only found 1 review. also, most people say the tuners are cheap. I think the Hound Dog is the best option, because it's cheaper, and of course Gibson is Gibson. I shouldn't buy it anytime soon since I bought a mandolin recently. Also, I have experience with the shop that sells the Hound Dog, I bought an acoustic from there last month.

So, what do you think? Should I buy it?

Hey Guys' date='

I wanted to ask something. Here's the deal.

I want a resonator guitar. I really like bluegrass, country, blues and all the kinds of music you can play with it, since I already have a regular acoustic and an eletric. I'm thinking Hound Dog Dobro (regular, round neck, probably made in china), the one that's around 579 bucks (I'm broke). First I was thinking about buying a usa hand made republic, that is 100 buck more, but there are no sound samples on the web and I only found 1 review. also, most people say the tuners are cheap. I think the Hound Dog is the best option, because it's cheaper, and of course Gibson is Gibson. I shouldn't buy it anytime soon since I bought a mandolin recently. Also, I have experience with the shop that sells the Hound Dog, I bought an acoustic from there last month.

So, what do you think? Should I buy it?[/quote']

I play slide on square neck dobro as well as round neck slide. If you're looking for the bluegrass or country sound, it really is done on a square neck rather than a round neck. The strings are way high on a square neck so as it can't be hand fretted. A square neck is played on one's lap for this purpose. To get the blues sound, either a square neck or round neck will work fine...depends on what blues sound you're looking for. Many of the original primitive blues guys from the 20s and 30s did it on square neck or with an equivalent Hawaiian nut raising the strings on a regular guitar and then playing it on their lap...however, most modern blues players now use a round neck slide and do not use a Hawaiian nut and as a result play it in a regultar guitar position. I personally play blues slides on my dobro as well as bluegrass and country stuff.

Keep in mind also, that it is not really so much the resonator that makes the bluegrass, country, or blues sound you're referrring to. It is the use of a slide. I suggest if you're interested in buying a Hound Dog Dobro, in preparation take or buy a really cheap guitar. Keep in mind, on resonator guitars, cheap wood or even no wood as in metal dobros is the norm as they produce a sound more raunchier. The raunchier the better with slide. Plus, normally on a guitar you'd want good action. On a dobro, you want high action (either like a square neck or even on a round neck somewhat higer action so the slide will work better.) Take a cheap guitar and begin playing slide on it. If needed, to make it equivalent to a square neck buy a metal haiwaiian nut and put it over the guitar's nut. Buy a square neck slide (a heavy bar slide) or if you're not going to set it up for Haiwaiian then just buy a metal or glass slide. Put either in an open tuning and see how your square neck or round neck slide playing evolves. Then...eventually buy the Hound Dog and set it up Hawaiian for square neck or use it as a round neck. Or, buy a square necked instrument. BTW, the instrument's resonator basically makes it louder than an acoustic guitar. If you play an acoustic guitar with slide it will sound like a dobro (when played lapstyle or round neck style.) The only real major difference is the volume. (As it is the slide that makes the sound.)

Hope that helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived