Gibson Brands Forums

What is the tonal signature of the J-45?

klugg

I have played two j45 hog moderns. That's all, but they were totally different. One of them hogs was sweet and warm, and it was quite discrete in the middle range, like a v-shaped eq. The other more even, and defined in the middle range.

I have read somewhere that one fine thing about j-45 is how it blends with vocal. That tells me that the first one I played was the most successful one, even though many prefer even guitars. And I liked it the most.

I have a rosewood modern, and that is more even and richer in the high freqs, in fact richer all over. Sounds fantastic, but I really liked the hog that left space in the middle area for the vocal. So I'm looking for a j-45 soubnding like that. But am I looking for the typical j45 or an exception?

How about the true vintage and the legend, where are they in this landscape?

thanks,

Kyrre

Guitars are like fingerprints. No two the same. Overall, they're relatively close. But each one has it's "own" signature. Find the one that "speaks" to you, then buy it! The TV and Legend guitars are built with '40's specs. ( hide glue, bracing, no electronics, etc.). More money, but IMHO, well worth it.

Thanks for your answer. What I'm asking about the community's opinion of, is what are the common characteristics that the j-45's share, exept those that at some point in production lost tonal contact with the others. Because that is what must have happened with one of the moderns I played. They were both new in box and produced within a period of 14 days.

There is something about my hbird... I find it even all over, mellow and sweet. And not very loud. It really fits its name. It hums. The j45hog is deeper and dryer. The j45hog gets louder as you strum harder and harder. My hbird kind of stagnates at a point with a crisp explosive sound. But yes, there is a similarity in the hog that differ from the j45rw i have.

It seems every Gibson I play is different...because they are. Attributable to they're being handmade and each being its own unique instrument. Thats one of the cool things about Gibsons. Each guitar seems to have its own sound and playability-personality (Gibsons have such a thang...just not sure if I properly described it. I'm open to other ways to describe it.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived