Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Switchwasher

scbryan7

Are you talking about the plastic ring that says "Rhythm" and "Treble"? If so, first, take the plastic plate off the back of your guitar. That will give you access to the other side of the switch (and give you something to hold onto to prevent the switch from spinning when you loosen the nut). Then just loosen the nut, pop the old one off, put the new one on, and put everything back together. -The most important thing is to make sure the switch doesn't spin when you're taking it apart or putting it back together.

I'm not sure if what I just said is the normal procedure. -That's just how I did it when I had to change one on one of my guitars. There are a lot of people here on the forum (Blackie, or NeoConMan for example) that know way more about this kind of thing than me, so don't do anything until more people respond to your question.

Typically the round "knurled" nut takes a special wrench to loosen/tighten. It can be done very carefully with a pair of pliers but you risk the likely chance either boogering up the nut, new plastic washer, or the finish of the guitar (or a combination of the above). The other thing to be careful of is removing the old plastic washer. After a bit of time they seem to "melt" into the finish, so this must also be removed witha great amount of care so as not to damage the finish.

The special nut tool is available from any parts house like Stew-Mac or Allparts, but this job will take a guitar tech with the right tools about two minutes to do. He should not charge more than about $10 for this.

Archived