Gibson Brands Forums

BFG: How roughly finished is too rough?

vern_s

I just got back off a road trip and one of my missions was to play as many Les Paul's as possible. I managed to try out at least 20 LP's from a very sweet Custom to a very roughly finished BFG. I realize that the rough finish on the BFG is the concept behind the guitar with its no frills look, but how roughly finished is too rough? The most noticeable upgrade I would have to do is to sand the edge of the neck flush with the fretboard. There is about a 1/32 of and inch lip on both sides of the neck as well as some pretty deep file marks left on the heel that they neglected to pay attention to. Also, the controls were very tight for my liking and the kill switch didn't completely kill the pups. As this is the first one I've played and the only one that I ran across on my travels on the weekend I was wondering whether this is normal for this model? I did however love the sound I got out of it; I found it very diverse with the Busterbucker 3 and the P90. To tell you the truth, with the deal the sales rep is willing to give me on it, it may be worth the time it would take to clean it up and do the required repairs as I have access to my friends repair shop. I was thinking of adding the VM to my collection, but now, hmmmm..... I may have to re-evatuate that decision.

There's no lip on mine and it's about as smooth as an unfinished guitar can be. My kill switch kills 100% of the signal to the pups. The kill switch really shouldn't be much of an issue because you probably will barely use it...it is nice to have though once do you have it.

Maybe it's just me...BFG owners, do you use your kill switch often?

Maybe it's just me...BFG owners' date=' do you use your kill switch often?[/quote']

I actually use it more than I thought I would usually just to kill the sound during set-up etc and I like that I can shutoff the p-90 when not playing for the hum. I actually kinda like it and wish it was on more guitars [-o<

I have the gloss black BFG Studio it's a great playing guitar

If you're picking up splinters from fretting chords, it's too rough. There's something I like about the BFG though I haven't had the opportunity to play one yet. It's really different from the norm - utilitarian, and not so precious that you'd cry if it got scratched. I think it's a refreshing take on the whole distressed guitar thing, and it's not another $*#@%! relic.

Archived