Gibson Brands Forums

Locking Tuners

OhioKid

I'm intrigued by locking tuners. I've never used them before. I realize that re-stringing is not that hard, but anything that would make it quicker and even easier would be nice.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think about them.

I currently have them on 2 of my guitars. They really do make stringing easier, and make it much harder to screw up wrapping around the post, as there is essentially none. They are really good for tremolo equipped guitars, as they keep everything more stable.

However, I now am getting rid of my trem equipped guitars, and 5 of the 6 guitars I have use TOM style bridge. If my guitars hadn't already been equipped with locking tuners, I wouldn't bother installing them. Winding strings isn't that hard. they definitely aren't a "no brainer". most intonation problems with a lot of bending are usually nut and bridge related, not tuner related.

locking strap buttons, now THOSE are a no brainer. definitely want security when you've got a guitar worth something strapped on.

I have the Tonepros locking Kluson style tuners on my SG classic. I like the buttons better and they do make changing a string much quicker. As far as helping keep things in tune, if you wrap your string properly on non-locking tuners unless they slip should hold just as well. The Tonespros are drop in direct replacements, no new holes or bushings.

now would locking tuners help the strings stay in tune when they are old more than standard tuners?

The BIGGER problem with old strings is that the corrosion alters the width of the strings so your intonation gets screwed up, and locking tuners can't do a thing about that. Again, IMHO, the tuners you have now are fine. Locking tuners are nice, but hardly necessary.

Archived