Gibson Brands Forums

Getting hands-on experience in stores?

rcwilk

Hi,

I didn't quite know where to put this topic.

I'm wondering about getting hands-on experience with gibsons - where to do this and what to do?

1. Do some stores let you play their stock, other not? I've found GuitarCenter very un-friendly in SF.

2. So I play with lighter strings, and it is really hard to get a sense of a guitar that has strings too heavy for me to play well. Once you narrow a guitar or two down, can you ask the store to re-string?

3. Its a little intimidating to play out loud, will most stores let you plug into a line 6 and headphones or something?

Thanks for any experience and advice.

I'm in the Bay Area, and looking for a hollow or semi hollow body to move from acoustic rock to blues, mostly playing home studio type environment. This post is related to

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=351424post351424

Gratefully,

RC

Hi' date='

I'm wondering about getting hands-on experience with gibsons - where to do this and what to do?[/quote']

Do you play guitar? Are you actually shopping?

1. Do some stores let you play their stock' date=' other not? I've found GuitarCenter very un-friendly in SF.[/quote']

I go into our local GC and tell them what I'd like to play and what I'd like to play it through. Never been denied the privilege. But I'm 61 and look it. Perhaps you're very young? Might take a little schmoozing to get them convinced you're able to buy what you're trying out.

~~~~~~~~

2. So I play with lighter strings' date=' and it is really hard to get a sense of a guitar that has strings too heavy for me to play well. Once you narrow a guitar or two down, can you ask the store to re-string?[/quote']

I've never heard of a store doing this for a regular walk-in customer. It might also be that some of the instruments are set up for the string gauges that come on them from the factory. Plus the cost of strings and time to restring just for a tryout? Not highly likely. But you don't know 'till you ask...them.

~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Its a little intimidating to play out loud' date=' will most stores let you plug into a line 6 and headphones or something?[/quote']

Sure, tell 'em you're looking at guitars AND headphone amps. Or don't worry about it, you're not the first learner that ever went in a music store. Happy picking and good luck.

~~~~~~~~~

I'm in the Bay Area, and looking for a hollow or semi hollow body to move from acoustic rock to blues, mostly playing home studio type environment. This post is related to

Gratefully,

RC

Hi' date='

I'm wondering about getting hands-on experience with gibsons - where to do this and what to do?

1. Do some stores let you play their stock, other not? I've found GuitarCenter very un-friendly in SF.

2. So I play with lighter strings, and it is really hard to get a sense of a guitar that has strings too heavy for me to play well. Once you narrow a guitar or two down, can you ask the store to re-string?

3. Its a little intimidating to play out loud, will most stores let you plug into a line 6 and headphones or something?

Gratefully,

RC [/quote']

I find it surprising that your local Guitar Center is very un-friendly. Here is St. Louis, you can walk in, grab one off the wall plug it in and start playing. In fact, they encourage it. They even have sound proof rooms you can play in loud.

yes, much younger , 54 :/

Played acoustic when I was younger, then dropped it for a few years, picked up electric in the 80's, then dropped it all again in the 90s (too much computer typing work, my hands always hurt after work for years) now back at it, mix acoustic and some electric. I'm interested now in historical blues and thought a hollow or semi hollow might suit this better.

Thanks for the excellent advice and empowerment.

RC

yes' date=' much younger , 54 :/[/quote']

Damn kids! When I was your age I was 55! [lol]

Played acoustic when I was younger' date=' then dropped it for a few years, picked up electric in the 80's, then dropped it all again in the 90s (too much computer typing work, my hands always hurt after work for years) now back at it, mix acoustic and some electric. I'm interested now in historical blues and thought a hollow or semi hollow might suit this better. [/quote']

An easy notion to come by, looking at some of the pics of the old masters. You'll like the Gibby semis, no doubt.

~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the excellent advice and empowerment.

You're very welcome. Toss a wave at 3530 Santiago for me next time you go down to the avenues. First house I ever bought...many, many lifetimes ago.

Peace, bro'.

Hi' date='

Gratefully,

RC [/quote']

Where abouts in the Bay Area? The SFGC restrung my DIF before they shipped it to me, and I'm confident they would have restrung it for me had I gone to the store to see the guitar. The Concord store is real busy, and I've never gone there to just play their stock...but I don't doubt I could.

I'm in Danville, so Concord is the closest store.

Where abouts in the Bay Area? The SFGC restrung my DIF before they shipped it to me' date=' and I'm confident they would have restrung it for me had I gone to the store to see the guitar. The Concord store is real busy, and I've never gone there to just play their stock...but I don't doubt I could.

I'm in Danville, so Concord is the closest store.[/quote']

Hmmm....Concord. 4290 Carter Court. My 2d home. Clayton still had a hitching post. The foothills out Ignacio Valley Road were bare and beautiful. Hang gliders used to use them on weekends. All covered with townhouses and condos now, I believe.

Archived