Gibson Brands Forums

Ace Frehley Has a GA5

Mr. Robot

I was reading an article on Ace Frehley last night, and he dropped it that he has a little GA5 Gibson amp.

Apparently, the way Ace records these days is that he puts down the base track using a full Marshall head and cabinet, but then all the overlay tracks are done with a variety of small amps, like the GA5 and small Vox amps.

His new album has had some good reviews, so I might check it out. He does a cover version of "Fox On the Run" by Sweet, which sounds good. Apparently he recorded Fox On the Run straight into Protools with NO amps at all. i.e. all the effects are via Pro Tools plug-ins.

Not what you expect from the SpaceMan

I find recording direct to the computer is a much better way of doing it. You get the straight guitar tone, and decide what effects you want later on. If you record the amp and all the effects, you don't have much choice when you're working with the recording.

In the end, no one can tell the difference. People will claim they can tell the difference, but they can't.

Ace has always recorded with his vintage fender harvard and princeton little combos in addition to a laney or marshall head. He also usually records a track or 2 with a strat or tele layered over the les paul. For the new album Anomaly I read in vintage guitar that he used a 5150 head on a marshall cab a little as well as old vox and gibson combos.

He did say the software amp stuff was used for Fox on the run. My fave track off the album is the instrumental Fractured Quantum, it's really melodic with nice 12 string acoustic going on. Live he's been using 100 watt jcm900 heads. He was great when I saw him last year. I love the spaceman! I've followed his every move since I was 5! Have you guys seen his new prototype les paul? It's a cool blue color with the usual 3 pickups.

"It's like they told ya- I came from outerspace!"

His newer blue one has the 3 cream colored dimarzios (which I've always loved the look of) instead of those ugly see thru clear coils that he had on the blue les paul at the VH1 rock honors thing a few years ago. Theres a bunch of pics on his website of him playing it- way cool! I got cream dimarzios in my chery sunburst lester 'cause that's the look I grew up with.

Archived