Gibson Brands Forums

How do i prevent from installing my pickup upside down?

dem00n

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAXEcFqehw0[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27104

I'm assuming "upside down" really means rotated 180 degrees in the plane of the guitar body, as flipping it on its face and installing truly upside down makes no sense:

"Opposite facing" humbuckers only determines the side (neck or bridge) on which the adjustable pole pieces are located. There is always a second row of pole pieces (or bar) in the second humbucker coil, whether or not it is visible.

Rotating the pups 180 degrees does NOT change electrical or magnetic polarities, as neither the wire turns direction (CW or CCW) nor magnetic orientation (north up or south up) changes. Signal polarity is unaffected. The order of the coils, front-to-back does not change signal polarity either. Humbucking operation is not affected. Timbre may be affected slightly because of differences in coil balance versus positioning along the string (different pole pieces affects this), but that's it. Check out a lot of different dual humbucker guitars. You will find all combinations adjustable polepiece locations -- some are just more common.

Also the wires that go to you electronics should be sticking out the right side of the pickup if you were to hold the guitar virtically with the headstock facing up. Cause that's the direction the wires are supposed to go. Don't quote me on that though :/

I dont know how to tell if its up or down!?!

The Dimarzio pups i got arent labled so i dont know what postion to put them in.

Help! :- [blink] [blink]

The part with the screws goes on top, the metalic part is the bottom :-

:-s

DiMarzios usually have a lilttle letter (some have an arrow) in the plate where everything is assemblen on, I don't have a pic right now but I think they have "front" writen on them

Experiment! Flip'em over or turn'em sideways and see how they sound. If they still don't moan the way you want them to, turn'em around and try'em another way. You can always tell by the moan and groan if you have'em in the right position. Wait a minute... am I in the right forum...crap. Sorry Demon - My bad. :-

Archived