Gibson Brands Forums

1937 L50 "Black Special?

gearhead

Whats up?

I have a question for some of you senior members here. I have a guitar, a 1937 L50 model if I'm not mistaken. Serial #XXXC11, stamped on rear of headstock (can't read it very good anymore, it got stolen 2 years ago and they tried sanding the serial# off), V-shaped neck. Has silk screened Gibson pre war logo, dot inlays, archtop, flat back, no neck binding, body binding only on the top side. Bottom bout approx 16 1/2 inches. I've looked at many other L50's from this time period and they all seem to have body binding on top and rear, and a few other things like neck binding. Is this what they called a "Black Special"? Sorry, I don't have any other photos of her at the minute. I paid $5.00 for this back in 1979, was in the shape you see here. I was thinking about sending it back to Gibson for repair and restoration, but not sure if that is cost effective. Your help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

... a 1937 L50 model if I'm not mistaken. ... I paid $5.00 for this back in 1979' date=' was in the shape you see here. I was thinking about sending it back to Gibson for repair and restoration, but not sure if that is cost effective.[/quote']

You've been thinking on it for 30 years?!? :D

Calling ksdaddy ! ! !

You've been thinking on it for 30 years?!? [lol]

I know..........I don't play her very often but when I do she plays very well. Nice action. Doesn't have the original tailpiece' date=' bridge or tuners, although they LOOK as old as the guitar![lol I've had several people try to get me to sell it, but no way, I personally don't know anyone that has a Gibson that old. But I've been thinking about repairs with the value of all the vintage guitars going up like they have been. I know at best, in original condition it's about a $1,000-1500 unit. I've read in a couple places that the Black Specials are rare, but I don't know that for sure. I know they weren't in the Gibson catalogs and were a dealer only special order item.

Here a link to some photos of a 1939 special, but it has rear body binding.

1939 Gibson special

Heres a link to a 1937 Gibson L30, but as you can see the body shape is smaller.

1937 Gibson L30

I thank you for your help! I'll try to get some better photos onto my photobucket album so you can see it better!

I'm no expert on Gibson Serial Numbers, but that XXXCII seems most unlikely as one of their numbers to me. In 1937, I think the numbers were ink stamped inside the guitar, perhaps on a paper label, but then again, only on the higher spec. instruments, and Gibsons only started impressing the serial Nos on the back of the headstock in about 1961.

I have a (Circa)1935 L30 in black, but no serial number. It was a cheaper version of the L50, I believe. The fingerboard is badly worn in one or two places but tuned down a tone and with a capo on 2nd fret (probably a good idea with an old guitar anyway), it plays perfectly well.

If it's a genuine Gibson and in reasonable condition, it could be worth about $1000. Whether or not it's worth spending a lot of money on restoration is debatable - not a rare guitar but it would still attract a certain amount of interest because of the make and age.

JoJo

I'm no expert on Gibson Serial Numbers' date=' but that XXXCII seems most unlikely as one of their numbers to me. In 1937, I think the numbers were ink stamped inside the guitar, perhaps on a paper label, but then again, only on the higher spec. instruments, and Gibsons only started impressing the serial Nos on the back of the headstock in about 1961.[/quote']

The number posted is a "Factory Order Number" from 1937, and some were impressed into the wood on the back of the headstock. This letter code FON system was introduced in 1935 and is very well documented and accurate. The first three number were the "batch" number, the letter represented the year of manufacture, and the last one or two numbers were the sequence within the batch.

As for restoration, regardless of the age, the value of these guitars would not support the investment of professional restoration.

I'm no expert on Gibson Serial Numbers' date=' but that XXXCII seems most unlikely as one of their numbers to me. In 1937, I think the numbers were ink stamped inside the guitar, perhaps on a paper label, but then again, only on the higher spec. instruments, and Gibsons only started impressing the serial Nos on the back of the headstock in about 1961.JoJo[/quote']

They stamped some of their numbers but inked most of them. I did do some research into the numbering they used then. The number isn't a serial number it's a factory order number (FON) with the "C" denoting a 1937 model. The first digits are the batch number and the last two are the rank in the batch. It's definitely a genuine Gibson, and the FON was intact with original finish over it until it got stolen 2 years ago, and they started sanding off the number. It was traded off for $50 worth of meth. Luckily for me a friend knew the guy that ended up with it and went and got it back. I bought it from the nephew of the guy that was supposedly the second owner of it. He had it for a LONG time. not sure who he got it from though. Sorry for reposting the same FON info, L5Larry, you posted just before I did!

gearhead - While waiting for ksdaddy to weigh in, check out these guys:

Appraisal: http://www.archtop.com/ac_access.html#anchor46216484

Repair: http://www.archtop.com/ac_access.html#anchor46211013

I've never personally used them, but I have a buddy that had some repair done by these guys. I'm guessing they'd be less expensive than having Gibson do the work. But ksdaddy would probably know more about that.

Good luck

Archived