Gibson Brands Forums

Want to replace Flying V pickups - Seymour Duncan??

gibsonpure

I'm new here (first post) so' date=' not quite confident but :

I've recently changed my 496R and 500T for EMGs (85 and 81 -Kerry King Set).

Now, the sound is just UNBELIEVABLE !! [cool

In heavy distortion mode (hey, that's what I like) the sound seems "solid". Like some kind of wall of sound...

But bright and accurate. Clear sound is deep and rich.

But I had to managed with some pickguards changes (one more knob and an additional switch - adding 20 db to the output volume).

Reliable investment. Greeaaaat sound.

Thats what they all say at first! [biggrin]

Though the kerry king EMG's werent based on his EMG's he wanted EMG to make a hole diffrent pickup then the one he acutal has in his guitars. [thumbup]

Hey demoon, don't know what EMG did to you, but I saw in this thread and in some other places your negative opinion about these pickups. May be due to some kind of strange disease when you were a child [cool]

Well, in my opinion, and to reply to FlyingVman, I found both the 500t and 496 R too noisy. I choose EMGs for the "clean" signal. The overall quality of these products is unbelievable, too. With a standard Gibson pot, there's no difference between 2 and 10. EMG products are really usable from 0 to 10. Have a look to the regular Gibson switches and to the EMG Switches. Woaw! twenty years of history and a gap in between...

That's only my opinion. May be one day I will get back to the roots and replace my EMGs by Gibson pickups again (because they do have big qualities - warm and big sound, reliable for example). But James and Kirk, Kerry King, Zack Wylde, David Gilmour use EmGs (even if they can afford a customize part - I can't) because it fits their needs. Emg 's fit mine. I've got the sound I want ![cool]

Hey, as I really want to be a nice boy, I've made some pics of my Flying.

Notice the new configuration (4 knobs- Genuine Gibson speed knobs)), and the additionnal switch (PA 20db boost- reduced to 15 db). The Jack output was also moved.

And, of course, the new pickups (emg 81 and 85).

p1010855.jpg

p1010856.jpg

Hey' date=' as I really want to be a nice boy, I've made some pics of my Flying.

Notice the new configuration (4 knobs- Genuine Gibson speed knobs)), and the additionnal switch (PA 20db boost- reduced to 15 db). The Jack output was also moved.

[img']http://michelrousseau.com/__oneclick_uploads/2010/01/p1010855.jpg[/img]

p1010856.jpg

I'm biting into the grass. Swallowing it while thinking OMG. [crying]

But if EMG's are what it takes to make you happy, you're welcome to ruin the looks of your guitar. :-k

Hey demoon' date=' don't know what EMG did to you, but I saw in this thread and in some other places your negative opinion about these pickups. May be due to some kind of strange disease when you were a child [biggrin']

Well, in my opinion, and to reply to FlyingVman, I found both the 500t and 496 R too noisy. I choose EMGs for the "clean" signal. The overall quality of these products is unbelievable, too. With a standard Gibson pot, there's no difference between 2 and 10. EMG products are really usable from 0 to 10. Have a look to the regular Gibson switches and to the EMG Switches. Woaw! twenty years of history and a gap in between...

That's only my opinion. May be one day I will get back to the roots and replace my EMGs by Gibson pickups again (because they do have big qualities - warm and big sound, reliable for example). But James and Kirk, Kerry King, Zack Wylde, David Gilmour use EmGs (even if they can afford a customize part - I can't) because it fits their needs. Emg 's fit mine. I've got the sound I want ![cool]

No i just noticed that good guitar tones dont come from EMG's. [biggrin]

Hey' date=' as I really want to be a nice boy, I've made some pics of my Flying.

Notice the new configuration (4 knobs- Genuine Gibson speed knobs)), and the additional switch (PA 20db boost- reduced to 15 db). The Jack output was also moved. ...

GREAT JOB!

Was any woodwork needed? Or was the factory's routing already sufficient for the pots?

BTW, I'm very Old School, and I think the knob placement is just fine:

whatever works for the PLAYER is the right thing.

p1010856.jpg

YAAAAAYYYYYY...from one EMG user to another....high 5

No i just noticed that good guitar tones dont come from EMG's

Haha, right.That's exactly the point. And Gibson knows that. The 7 strings Explorer comes with ...EMG [thumbup]

I was talking about the overall quality of Gibson products with my luthier (is it the right word in English? At least, it's right in french[blush] ). He found it very well (I don't want to repeat here what he said about other brands...:D ). But I'm still wondering why there was no "anti-electro-magnetic" paint in the electronic cavities of my faded. Well, I guess faded are just...faded!

But if EMG's are what it takes to make you happy, you're welcome to ruin the looks of your guitar.

And i'm happy. Mostly because I've bought a guitar to play it, not to see it [cool]

Was any woodwork needed? Or was the factory's routing already sufficient for the pots?

Yes. First of all, woodjob was needed to insert the battery holder (in the back side). Then we needed to make some clear space for the jack output, which was moved, because of the additional pot. Then, it was time to deal with the pickgard mod.

YAAAAAYYYYYY...from one EMG user to another....high 5
. Clap !

I know, I should have take pics of the routing prior to screw the pickguard back in place.

Now, I will soonly change the nylon nut. The tuners too, for some "genuine gibson" grovers.

And may be, a good paint work during spring. I've got ideas (I Don't want to spoil the topic, just add a link ;-).

I had 496R/500T's in my Firebird Studio...I also feel they are too bright for me.I wanted more warm and"round" sound as I play Lynyrd Skynyrd/Led Zeppelin style slide things quite a lot...I changed them for Seymour-Duncan `59 Vintage Blues SH-1 set.

Nice warm smooth and thick sound, not too much bite in highs...I use Firebird mainly for slide playing, it is tuned to open G...for that the SD`59 set is perfect match.Works well also with cleans, rock, jazz....

Archived