Gibson Brands Forums

Want to replace Flying V pickups - Seymour Duncan??

gibsonpure

ive recently purchased a 2006 V98 with the 496/500t pickups ..great guitar btw!!..so far its tonally fine, but i am mostly a fender STRAT player [30 yrs exp] have also a 62 RI strat but have always had as my second guitar a V with humbuckers so when on stage you have most tones covered when playing classic rock, blues etc..so im wondering with you guys out there who are mostly gibson freaks what pickups i should get... to replace these ones without any sawing of wood and no i dont want EMGs. :-k

not heavy metal-mostly rock i guess but [i digress] when i was younger [30 yrs ago] i went to some awesome concerts as i was a into the heavy stuff -i saw AC/DC with bon scott,aerosmith,scorpions,accept, ozzy, liked motorhead,saw SRV in 83,iggy pop[got trampled to death almost]but now as an older but still crazy rocker am trying on a comeback of sorts as i bought a new live rig so will probably play somewhat mellower stuff as opposed to what i was into before.. i cleaned out a room in my basement as my personal studio to figure out what material to do as i used to play around here for ten years ...i am seeing if i can still do it again..[bored]

Not yet....I did' date=' however find a brand new set of SD Distortions on Craigslist for $65. Waiting for the guy to get back with me..[/quote']

I've the SD '59 brigde/SD Distortion neck on my woodoo explorer. Quite fun combo. The neck pu is used for lead stuff. No need to whine about lack of bottom there, he he.

I'm new here (first post) so, not quite confident but :

I've recently changed my 496R and 500T for EMGs (85 and 81 -Kerry King Set).

Now, the sound is just UNBELIEVABLE !! [cool]

In heavy distortion mode (hey, that's what I like) the sound seems "solid". Like some kind of wall of sound...

But bright and accurate. Clear sound is deep and rich.

But I had to managed with some pickguards changes (one more knob and an additional switch - adding 20 db to the output volume).

Reliable investment. Greeaaaat sound.

I'm new here (first post) so' date=' not quite confident but :

I've recently changed my 496R and 500T for EMGs (85 and 81 -Kerry King Set).

Now, the sound is just UNBELIEVABLE !! [biggrin

In heavy distortion mode (hey, that's what I like) the sound seems "solid". Like some kind of wall of sound...

But bright and accurate. Clear sound is deep and rich.

But I had to managed with some pickguards changes (one more knob and an additional switch - adding 20 db to the output volume).

Reliable investment. Greeaaaat sound.

Welcome to the forum. Remember rule number 1. Post pictures.

Archived