Gibson Brands Forums

What is "normal" fret wear?

Watchdogg

My now 1 year old Hummingbird Artist has significant fret wear on the b string second, third and some on 4th frets as well as the high e on a lesser scale. Particularly the b string second fret where the wear is significant. Granted it gets played at least 10 hours a week or more, but none of my other guitars I have owned can I remember showing significant fret this quickly.

Also does string gauge or setup add to fret wear as I have had mediums on it since day one?

Lastly what would be a fair price on a partial refret as it looks like the second and third frets won't be lasting much more than a year unless I buy that Martin I originally wanted...

Appreceate any advice on this!

That's pretty much exactly the area and rate of fret wear I get. And I probably play about that much, as well. I first thought that was a little quick, but this was the case with each of my main guitars in 2008 and 2009.

I also use mediums, which will definitely tear into the frets more.

Prices vary on a partial re-fret; I last paid about $50 to have the bottom five frets replaced on an used instrument earlier this year.

Check your action and relief ... you may be gripping the neck too tightly, or pressing down too hard when fretting because the strings are too far away from the fretboard. That could be from a nut with slots that are too high, a high saddle, or too much bow in the neck. Or perhaps you have the dreaded left-hand "death grip", which is common when people tend to play dynamically. I've had to fight this one myself. It's pretty easy to grip harder with the left hand when playing aggressively with the right. The key to remember: the right hand controls the tone. The left should "dance".

FYI, this kind of wear is most common on the non-wound strings.

You might consider using coated strings, which may be a little less rough on the frets, if you can put up with the tone. I've heard that it helps. I've tried them, but can't live with the diminished tone. But perhaps some Elixirs could be up your alley?

I'd suggest replacing the frets with stainless steel. They are much more durable, and should give you significantly more time between fret leveling or replacements. If I were you, I'd go directly to the replacements in stainless, because it's unlikely, (unless you spend a lot of time playing higher up the neck), that the frets 6-and up need any work. It would be easier, and probably cheaper in the long run to just have the stainless installed and leveled to the heights of the other frets. After that, you might not need to any more fretwork done for several years.

If you go with the original fret wire as a replacement, you might find yourself right back in the same boat this time next year.

You could go with light strings, as the lessened tension will be less damaging to the frets, but that might be cutting off your nose to spite your face. There will an alternation of the tone with lighter strings, and it's hard to say if that will be to your liking or not. Personally, I need mediums on most dreads to move the top sufficiently, and get the tone I prefer. And normally, if you switch gauges, you should expect to have to adjust the relief, so the strings won't buzz.

BTW, some people say that they can hear a tonal change with stainless steel frets. I seriously doubt this possibility. IMHO, this is more a kind of aural perception based on the fact that if people think there might be a change, they are ready to hear one, whether it is actually audible ...or not.

My guitar with stainless frets sounds exactly as it did before. And except that it is easier to chord, since the strings are not going down into dents, there is no other change.

Take the guitar to an experienced luthier, an I expect you'll get exactly the same advice. Note however, that some luthiers balk at installing stainless because of possible damage to their tools. If you encounter this kind of reaction from someone who claims to be a pro, find someone else to do the job. My guy, who does terrific fret work, seems to think that installing stainless is not such a big deal.

Flinx

This past summer, I had the first six frets replaced on my SongBird Deluxe. Actually, a complete set-up with fret repair and leveling the frets that were not replaced. Truss rod adjustment and the whole nine-yards. The fret wire used to replace the worn out ones was a nickel-silver alloy of some sort, the best I can remember. The total cost was $250. It was worth every penny! The Ol' 'Bird has never played better! I play this guitar in a bluegrass band and it gets about 10-12 hours of hard banging every week. The new frets are already showing signs of wear again, but it's just normal wear and tear coming from playing the hell out of it! I'm thinking at this rate of wear, probably another 5 years or so I'll need to do it again. Plus, I'm a little heavy-handed too. My suggestion is to find a good luthier that you trust, and he'll advise you as to whether a re-fret job is needed now or whether to wait. In my situation, I was getting string-buzzing really bad and had no other option.

I replaced the first five frets on a '57 J45 last week. Also installed one of those newfangled I-beam pickups, leveled and polished the rest of the frets. I charged him $60. He said I didn't charge enough. I told him I didn't do it for the money. But I was also seriously broke at the moment.

I replaced the first five frets on a '57 J45 last week. Also installed one of those newfangled I-beam pickups' date=' leveled and polished the rest of the frets. I charged him $60. He said I didn't charge enough. I told him I didn't do it for the money. But I was also seriously broke at the moment.[/quote']

Damn, KSD! do you ever come to North Carolina?!!! At that price, I'll let you re-fret everything I own!

I used to be deathly afraid of refrets. Now they don't bother me.

Well' date=' maybe this one gave me some fits:

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/oldgerman.html[/quote']

You are definetly a true craftsman! Knowing what to fix and repair and then knowing how to fix and repair. You are a gem! Being a maintenance mechanic/supervisor, I can appreciate the effort and undertaking on your projects!

Thanks all ,especially Flinx allot of info I would have never thought of. I did have the guitar initially setup by a luthier for slightly high action and medium strings I later added a tad relief as the g string was buzzing on the third fret when I dug in. I hate to mess with the guitar as I love the playability and tone, but will have it checked out by a different luthier and deal with being with out the guitar as all the luthiers that have been recommended to me in Austin have a long waiting list.

I've had an inexpensive Ibanez Acoustic for eight years. I play that guitar several hours a week ever since I've was given it. My frets are not worn. I play blues, country, and mild rock on this thing. In other words, I don't baby this guitar. I keep it clean, adjust the truss rod as necessary once a year, and change the strings regularly. This guitar has very little wear on the frets. Not enough wear to even bother replacing or having them dressed. If these expensive Gibson's are wearing out the fret wire is poor quality or the guitar setup is not right....

Archived