Gibson Brands Forums

Tele Ideas

Hthomas

So Im wanting to buy a telecaster kit or seperate parts. any reccomendations?

I'm wanting to put a humbucker in the neck and a normal tele pickup in the bridge. any reccomendations?

any tips at all or anything i should no otherwise greatly appreicated!

I have seen them at some shows and almost went for it.

I think its the painting that worries me the most.

does seem like fun though

Eh.

Just stain it like my friend did.

I think one of our own forum members did that as well.

Or take it to a furtinure shop and ask them to do it.

Three words

Van! Zandt! Pickups!

They sound frigging amazing. Can't go wrong with them. Also Rocket pickups are just as sweet and cheaper too!

As for the neck and body definitely go Warmoth. You can even have them custom make the body and neck to you exact specifications.

Also this is just my opinion but I don't really like the normal tele bridge pups. Some people make them sound great, I don't :)

On the tele I'm building I'm going to put a humbucker in the bridge. I will have a coil tap on it though so I will be able to get those single coil sounds as well.

what kind of wood is best for a body of a tele? do i need laminate top?

teles are normally made out of swamp ash or alder. But you can really make it out of what ever you want. What you make it out of really depends on the tone your looking for.

Here check out this big list of tonewoods.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

That should help a lot.

I have checked out Warmoth and right I saw some necks and bodies alone were $700

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-NECK-MAPLE-BOARD-FITS-FENDER-TELECASTER_W0QQitemZ220536773364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3359041af4

Thats why eBay is the way to go. Stew Mac sells bodies and necks also. Warmoth's site explains the different woods. I used alder. It is closed grained' date=' meaning you don't have to use a grain filler.

Check Stewart MacDonalds web site, they'll give you ideas as to finishing. You can stain it and use a cheap spray can finish if you want.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17647&source=googlelps

Do your homework and have fun. Do not get in a big hurry, haste makes waste.

My Warmoth/eBay/Stew Mac Tele is pictured here.

[img']http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss245/Rocky4_05/P1010003.jpg[/img]

**** that.

Walnut body.

Do it.

Walnut does sound and look pretty cool. But so does ash. But what I'm going to do on my tele is have a piece of mahogony as the back and then wenge caps on both the top and back. It will sound and look great!!!

There are more resources than Warmoth, make sure you check them out.

Like the "Web Specials" at http://usacustomguitars.com/bodyspecials.asp

Or these other guys http://guitarmill.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68&zenid=54d1dab249aebba68d4937e7cd680512

Frankly I would start with a good base like Rocketman suggests and then mod the guitar to what you like.

Depends on what you want your tele to be... Are you a country chicken-picker? A Roy Buchanan wanna-be? A Bruce Springsteen howl hound?

Warmoth can let you be whatever you want, no question. So can a number of Fender Tele models. My tele is a mahogany body, maple carved top, with dual humbuckers (a SD Pearly Gates in bridge, and a SD '59 in the neck), Fender. Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Sounds great, but doesn't exactly sound like a country tele. Has more of a LP sound than anything else. Actually has a sound a lot like my Firebird.

Figure out the sound you want, the way that sound is created and go from there.

Actually just bought a SD Phat Cat soapbar type pick up for the neck pup to install on my tele. Great guitars, but like any other, figure out what you want from it, then decide what will give you that sound/performance.

Love that tele, but also love my Firebird, and mourn the day I got rid of my LP (which I will rectify in the near future).

Depends on what you want your tele to be... Are you a country chicken-picker? A Roy Buchanan wanna-be? A Bruce Springsteen howl hound?

Warmoth can let you be whatever you want' date=' no question. So can a number of Fender Tele models. My tele is a mahogany body, maple carved top, with dual humbuckers (a SD Pearly Gates in bridge, and a SD '59 in the neck), Fender. Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Sounds great, but doesn't exactly sound like a country tele. Has more of a LP sound than anything else. Actually has a sound a lot like my Firebird.

Figure out the sound you want, the way that sound is created and go from there.

Actually just bought a SD Phat Cat soapbar type pick up for the neck pup to install on my tele. Great guitars, but like any other, figure out what you want from it, then decide what will give you that sound/performance.

Love that tele, but also love my Firebird, and mourn the day I got rid of my LP (which I will rectify in the near future).[/quote']

Harris is more of a soundgarden scream [biggrin]

P1010003.jpg

For whatever reason, I think that Juniors in the burst look great a little beat up. I am not for relic'ing but that looks damn nice [biggrin]

To the original question, my recommendation would be to look on craigslist for a MIM Tele, I see them for around 2-300 and build off of that. Change the pups and all that, but I think it would be a good starting point.

Archived