Gibson Brands Forums

Model number question

ram1500

I've only recently started looking in to LP's and trying to figure our why some refer to their LP's as "R9, R7", etc. R numbers vs Standard, custom, Classic etc.. Are these numeric model numbers correspond to a name?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb questions..

Thanks

Gus

I've only recently started looking in to LP's and trying to figure our why some refer to their LP's as "R9' date=' R7", etc. R numbers vs Standard, custom, Classic etc.. Are these numeric model numbers correspond to a name?

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb questions..

Thanks

Gus[/quote']

Not a dumb question at all. A very good question, in fact. Also a long-winded one to answer in full (and this answer will not be that!).

Anything referred to as R7, R8, R9 etc means the instrument is trying to be a re-creation of that particular year's style. Therefore an R7 'Standard' will be a LP Gold-Top fitted with Humbucking pickups, have a relatively thick neck-profile and a tune-o-matic bridge / Stop-bar tailpiece. This was what the LP Standard of 1957 was like. Similarily, an R0 'Standard' will be similarily equipped but in a variaton of Cherry-Sunburst and sport the slimmer neck profile introduced to the LP range in 1960. 'Les Paul Custom' Re-issues are available in 1954, 1957 and 1968 styles etc etc...

Les Paul Re-issues will normally be either a Standard or a Custom, although some other models, originally lower in the price range, are also available. These instruments 'are' made by Gibson's best luthiers in a place known as Gibson's Custom Shop (not to be confused with the LP Custom...) and command premium prices over the normal USA built instruments.

There are a great many variations on the Les Paul - literally dozens - so I won't detail all the changes in one post. There is a lot of info here on the Forum pages. Take your time and read up all you need to know.

Good luck!

Archived