Gibson Brands Forums

Blues King v. L-00 Legend

NevadaPic

BK_L00.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blues King>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<L-00 Legend<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now I know why all the advertisements for the Blues King were stating "…a slightly shallower body depth…" Shallower to what I kept asking myself. Note the difference in the photos. The Blues King is an even 4 inches and the L-00 4 1/4 inches.

Fit, finish, materials much superior on the L-00. It is substantially lighter than the Blues King. The back braces are less than half as thick as the BK. Note the difference in kerfing size visible through the sound hole in the photos. My guess is that the thickness of the top/back/sides may be slightly less on the L-00 also. It has a much fuller and well rounded sound than the BK. The neck on the L-00 is a beautiful well-defined V (and slightly wider nut) as opposed to the more rounded neck on the BK. The L-00 Legend came with the so-called Red Line case and it has a more substantial feel than the standard issue Gibson case and is borderline industrial-strength.

The L-00 Legend is an awesome guitar. The red spruce top is about the closest grain red spruce I have seen on any recent guitar. I think if I could only have one guitar this would be it. The Blues King has a sound of its own that is more woody and understated than the L-00. It is a good sound maybe more fundamental in tone than the L-00. I have it tuned to open D at the moment. It's great for slide playing and other open D stuff…

I would expect the L-00 have a better fit and finish than the BK, there is aproximatley a $3000.00 difference in price. The L-00 is a copy of a specific guitar while the BK is more of an generic model of a small body guitar.

BK_L00.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blues King>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<L-00 Legend<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now I know why all the advertisements for the Blues King were stating "…a slightly shallower body depth…" Shallower to what I kept asking myself. Note the difference in the photos. The Blues King is an even 4 inches and the L-00 4 1/4 inches.

Fit' date=' finish, materials much superior on the L-00. It is substantially lighter than the Blues King. The back braces are less than half as thick as the BK. Note the difference in kerfing size visible through the sound hole in the photos. My guess is that the thickness of the top/back/sides may be slightly less on the L-00 also. It has a much fuller and well rounded sound than the BK. The neck on the L-00 is a beautiful well-defined V (and slightly wider nut) as opposed to the more rounded neck on the BK. The L-00 Legend came with the so-called Red Line case and it has a more substantial feel than the standard issue Gibson case and is borderline industrial-strength.

The L-00 Legend is an awesome guitar. The red spruce top is about the closest grain red spruce I have seen on any recent guitar. I think if I could only have one guitar this would be it. The Blues King has a sound of its own that is more woody and understated than the L-00. It is a good sound maybe more fundamental in tone than the L-00. I have it tuned to open D at the moment. It's great for slide playing and other open D stuff…[/quote']

Great description Dennis ! I wonder if you can put up some sound clips on the L00 ? Thanks! [biggrin]

I wonder how the new Keb Mo signature guitar would compare to the L-00 Legend. I know the Keb is a 12 fret and the Legend is a 14 fret but the bodies look to be the same depth and both are hog sides and back.

Great description Dennis ! I wonder if you can put up some sound clips on the L00 ? Thanks! [-(

Thanks Bud! May have time to record some clips this weekend. I will have to record directly into the Mac and I do not have an external mike for it (yet).

Ed S - It's a late 2006 model BK w/ Mahogany back/sides.

oldguy - I am curious about this model also.

The L-00 is a great guitar. The neck is really remarkable on this guitar. Not only is the profile excellent but the width is perfect. I bought this guitar new for much less than the 'MAP'. Shop around and ask for the best price. After playing the L-00 almost constantly since its arrival, I wonder what the J-45 Legend is like...

Dave

Archived