Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo True Vintage

PickitPaul

Is Gibson still making these with the sitka tops? Do any of you have one? Here is one on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Southern-Jumbo-True-Vintage-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ180454470802QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2a03ecb492

Don't see too many on e-bay that i have noticed, but recently got one myself, it is from '07. I love it, very deep & resonant, almost has that hollow wood sound that i heard from a '54 J-45 that I played at a festival (the guy said he paid around 4K for it, I suspect it will develop that over time. Seems like a good price for these seeing how much a real vintage one costs. I have a tone rite says for a mandolin I picked up used, and use it on guitar. Seems to be working because my SJ resonates more after having it on when not actually playing.

I have an '08 model. This is absolutely the finest guitar that I've ever played! Like you said, it has the best tone ever. I love mine. I did change the pins and saddle. Bone pins and a compensated bone saddle from our main-man Bob Colosi. That did the trick!

Larry' date=' why did you replace the saddle if it was bone from factory? Just for the compensated, and does it make any difference?

What size are the bone pins? I think the slot is cut through the skirt.

I was going to try rosewood or ebony pins.[/quote']

I put the compensated saddle in because the intonation at the higher frets seemed to be a little flat when playing. The compensated saddle did the trick! I don't remember the pin size. I measured them when I replaced them, but I can't remember the size. And yes, they are slotted throughthe skirt.

Larry' date=' why did you replace the saddle if it was bone from factory? Just for the compensated, and does it make any difference?

What size are the bone pins? I think the slot is cut through the skirt.

I was going to try rosewood or ebony pins.[/quote']

Pin size is 2A.

Archived