Gibson Brands Forums

Good Year for Gibsons?

lockjawdavis

We all know Fender suffered through some years of putting out pretty crappy guitars. And Harley-Davidson went through the same thing with motorcycles. What about Gibson? Are there certain years to avoid because of craftsmanship/ownership of the brand? Would a 2009 J-45 be markedly different in quality and tone than a 2006 or 2007? Just wonderin'.

There are some eras to be careful with - Norlin would be one most would point out. Having said that, there are always great, average and terrible individual specimens from any era. Each guitar, from whatever era, must be evaluated on its own merit. There are some fantastic specimens to be found from the Norlin era, as well as terrible ones. Always check 'em out, don't write 'em off.

One time I dreamed I went into an abandoned house and in amongst the broken chairs, dishes, debris, there was a brown Gibson case on the floor covered in plaster debris. I opened it up and it was stuffed with a big pile of moldy old tens and twenties. I thought, DANG, NO GUITAR!

Thanks, Hoss. I'll remember that if I find a suitcase full of large bills in my attic.

A duffel bag of small bills will also work.... you never know. (And FWIW, I passed on a '46 LG2 that cost less than a lot of new gibson guitars!)

Archived