Gibson Brands Forums

J-35 or Original Jumbo owners -- I have some questions for you

ataylor

If you own or have some experience playing a J-35 or Original Jumbo (I'm thinking more of the reissues, typically from Fuller's) I'm wondering:

- what your overall impressions of the guitar are

- how it compares to a J-45, both standard and true vintage models

- how it compares to an advanced jumbo

- where you got it and how much I can expect to pay

- most importantly, if you have photos -- post them if yes!

I'd really like a Gibson slope shoulder and I gravitate towards the short scale. I think there's something really cool about the J-35s and Original Jumbos that kind of give it a vibe and look that's somewhere inbetween the J-45 and the Advanced Jumbo.

Just curious to get some feedback from any of you that have experience with these rare beauties.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with reissues, but I have some with the old guitars. The first thing you need to note is that the J-35s were not really a single design, but a family of designs beginning in 1936. The early ones, now call Trojans, were really Jumbos with different trim -- larger body, almost no taper, three unscalloped tone bars, etc. They were pretty much like Jumbos, and they sound like Jumbos - powerful, percussive, and raw.

The later J-35s, which went to the smaller AJ body dimensions and two (often scalloped) tone bars, were much warmer and sweeter.

Here is an 1936 Jumbo-35 Trojan:

Trojan with Roy Smeck SD

Roy Smeck SD with Trojan

Here are a couple of wartime J-45s

1942 J-45 with 1952 J-45

1943 J-35 with 1942 SJ

1952 J-45 with 1942 J-45

Here is a 1936 AJ

1936 AJ with 1935 D-18

Best,

-Tom

Calling Dave.... Calling Dave.....:-k

I've seen several OJ reissues. There seems to be several ways Gibson approaches the reissue. One, there is a body taper similar to a J45; two, no taper. It seems to me the last time I was on Fullers website, they had an OJ with the straight/no taper body.

SLC Dave has a reissue J35 and an OJ.. perhaps he'll chime in.

I had an OJ reissue till I found my Kevin Kopp K 35. The OJ is hands down the best reissue Gibson I evered played and I ve had many including the Legend ! The OJ was better than any! It was the tapered body one.

But!

Kevin Kopps K 35 copy of a 1936 J 35 just knocked my socks off! Compared to a vintage J 35 its Very Very close more like a 36 J 35 just out of the box !

Kevin Kopp and John Walker worked for Gibsons custom shop in MT. for years then went out on there own and have nailed as far as I am concerned the vintage Gibson sound better than anybody (IMHO) ! [confused] Plus he does his sunburst in the alcohol stain hand done with a cotton swab method. A true work of art ! Just like Gibson did in the 20s and 30s. :-

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

I had an OJ reissue till I found my Kevin Kopp K 35. The OJ is hands down the best reissue Gibson I evered played and I ve had many including the Legend ! The OJ was better than any! It was the tapered body one.

But!

Kevin Kopps K 35 copy of a 1936 J 35 just knocked my socks off! Compared to a vintage J 35 its Very Very close more like a 36 J 35 just out of the box !

Kevin Kopp and John Walker worked for Gibsons custom shop in MT. for years then went out on there own and have nailed as far as I am concerned the vintage Gibson sound better than anybody (IMHO) ! [scared] Plus he does his sunburst in the alcohol stain hand done with a cotton swab method. A true work of art ! Just like Gibson did in the 20s and 30s. [cool]

Believe you me, if I could afford a Kopp or a Walker I'd probably go that route. I think that I'll be pushing it to be able to afford a good deal on a reissue at Fuller's. Congrats on an amazing guitar!

Hi ataylor,

You and I discussed the Fuller's J35 on the Epiphone forum last fall, I think. It's a wonderful guitar. I have an Advanced Jumbo, too (ditto on wonderful), and they do share many characteristics, but what seperates them mainly to my ear is that the J35 is drier. It sustains as long as the AJ, but the note decays quicker, so the volume of the sustained note is less, relative to its attack. More so when flatpicked, but less so when fingerpicked. The bass on the AJ is probably deeper but less focused, too. Even though both models were developed by Gibson around the same time, the AJ sounds more contemporary to me. The J35's sound gives me the the mental picture of a dusty, depression era.

The neck on the J35 is slightly wider and a little deeper than the AJ I have. I'm not sure if they still come that way; Jeremy Fuller told me some of the earlier ones had a Luthier's Choice-like profile, but Gibson does not provide it any longer (for that price-point, since it's something they charge more for, apparently). The neck on my J35 is like a tenth of an inch deeper and it's 1.78" at the nut, vs. the AJ's 1.725" (all meaurements approximate). That little bit of difference (and the difference in shapes--the J35 has a soft V shape) amounts to a nice handful.

I may have a J45 Red Spruce TV to play next week. I've been wondering what difference there is between it and the J35, as they seem so similar. They share the same top bracing. The lower two back braces on the J45 TV are thinner than the huge ones on the J35/AJ, though. I'll let you know how similar or different they sound, and try and compare the necks.

Fuller's by the way, has some wonderful exclusive models, and the quality and condition of all their stock seems very high. I don't know whether Gibson and the other manufacturers send them the pick of the litter, or they just take better care of thier guitars than most, and take the time to set them up properly (gasp!) or what, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them sight unseen.

Red 333

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from them sight unseen.

I'd agree - as long as they have a decent return policy. Years ago when I lived in Austin I drove down to Houston to visit Fullers. I played a lot of Gibsons, none of which totally knocked my socks off. Since I'd made the trip and they had good prices I ended up purchasing a J-35 reissue (I don't recall the build details). I liked the guitar fairly well, and it looked wonderful, but much like an other's experience on this thread, I just never really warmed up to it as much as I was hoping.

When all was said and done, I called Fullers up and arranged a trade. Sent the J-35 back and had them send me a National Delphi Vintage Steel, which I still have today. The guys at Fullers were good to work with and I recommend them as well.

I'm sure somebody ended up with my old J-35 and is more than happy with it. To each their own indeed.

All the best,

Guth

Archived