Gibson Brands Forums

Refresh my memory

maninblack

Can somebody explain the "wisdom"of Gibson's internet advertising policy again? Why can't inventory and pictures be listed on most dealers websites? Why are some dealers granted exceptions to this rule and not others?

As a guy who likes to spend lots of his hard earned money on top of the line Gibson guitars I find this enormously frustrating. I just noticed the 5 star dealer list is shrinking too. The best Gibson dealer in a two hour radius of me is no longer on the list. (I have sensed this coming. They've been acting pissy about the Gibson corporation for a while)

Argghhh. Without knowing what other distant dealers have in stock and without any Gibson dealers near by (besides GC/Sam Ash) how the heck am I supposed to give Gibson any more of my money? I am interested primarily in limited runs and custom jobs. Finding these on the interent is like the needle in a haystack. If I wanted a limited edition Martin I could easily locate dealers all over the country who have it in stock. Why must Gibson make finding their good stuff virtually impossible unless you just happen upon it while visiting a store.

It makes no sense to me. I just want to be able to know what's out there so maybe I can buy it. Why would a company interested in selling product hide it from their consumers?

I hate Guitar Center. The stock is poorly set-up, overpriced, shopworn standard models (Gibson, Martin, Taylor and Breedlove). And I can't stand walking through the heavy metal to get back to the tiny acoustic rooms. Anything I would even consider buying is usually in a locked glass case. Getting one of the teenagers to come unlock it for me on a busy Saturday is impossible.

Its a bizarre practice, common to lots of makers. Taylor being one of them. In fact Mandolin Bros had a spat with Taylor over this a few years ago and MB dropped Tayor. Since then, I notice that Taylor are back at MB. However, over at Elderly where they sell Taylor, they publish the price as you buy it. Gibson have some odd practices with dealers.

I know rar has posted about this before, but it still makes no sense to me. I can see not letting them post prices (well, not really), but if they could at least post what's in stock, along with pictures and specs, then you coud call them and ask for a price. Otherwise, it's pretty hit or miss.

I'm a bit confused. I've got a good friend that works at a music instrument store, and I live in the same town as Elderly Instruments and am in and out of there a lot. The way I understand it, most manufacturers, including Gibson, have a MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) and a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). The retailers are not allowed to advertise prices below the MAP.

As far as the MAP - the manufactures use that as a tool to try and keep the value of their guitars up - no advertised price wars. Some manufactures police this very strictly. In fact, Elderly got their tit in the wringer with Gibson over that and Gibson dropped them. They no longer carry new Gibson, only used.

Restricting photo posting of stock on the internet - now that's hit and miss. I keep tabs on what's in stock at Elderly by checking their website. If I see something I want to take a look at and play, I go in and do so. All of the Tayor stock is posted. The only reason why they wouldn't have a used item on the website is they haven't gotten around to taking a photo. With new guitars, they sometimes use a stock photo and put a notice on the post. However, my local Best Buy has a really nice music store and they carry some high end Gibson guitars, acoustic and electric. But they don't list any Gibson guitars on their website. Nobody has explained that to me, so I'm curious as to why only certain dealers post their Gibson stock.

Archived