Gibson Brands Forums

Time to update the guitar list...

drathbun

I know this is a Gibson forum, but since my Songwriter is my main guitar, this is my home forum. So... I've made a change to the herd. I received a few guitar shop gift certificates for Xmas so I applied them to a new guitar last week.

The idea was to trade my Yamaha FG720 12 string (not needed now that I have the Taylor) for a Gretsch Electromatic 5122DC. Since the store didn't have one in stock, I asked to order one and put down my gift certs as a down payment. I mentioned to the guy at GuitarWorks that I wanted to trade another guitar and he said they don't do that when it doesn't come off the floor (make sense I guess). So I said forget it and left.

I put the Yamaha in Kijiji on Tuesday night and had the guitar sold for what I wanted for it the next afternoon! So I went straight back to GuitarWorks and ordered my Gretsch 5122 (Walnut).

Here's a little Gibson related side note to the story...

When I came in, there were two people at the front counter. The young man was helping me when the young lady at the counter go a phone call asking about a "Dusk Tiger". She had no idea what the person was talking about so asked the guy serving me, who also said he had no clue. So I piped up with... "Oh sure... that's a new Les Paul robot guitar from Gibson". The guy quickly looked it up on the website and took the phone call, giving the customer all kinds of BS about it only being released at NAMM etc. When he finally got back to ordering my guitar, he gave me a pretty good discount on it for helping him out! [blink] It helps to know your guitar industry!

My plan with the Gretsch is to make a 'poor man's' Country Gent by switching out the pickguard and adding some TV Jones pickups. Should be here by March! (The one one the left below)

G5122DC_xl.jpg

From the looks of your gear list' date=' that's a very nice addition to your herd.

Congrats! [blink

And keep us posted on the pup mod.

Thanks Kahune! The pup upgrade is a bit challenging from what I hear on the Gretsch forum. Doing electronics on a semi-hollow is a daunting task to begin with! Builds character! [blink]

Awesome guitar. If I were going to get a Gretsch that's the one I'd get. Just FYI, they started shipping these with white (or they might be a very light gray/silver) pickguards instead of the clear ones that they show in the stock photos. Do a Google image search and you'll see some examples. You may be fine with that pickguard, I think it looks much better. Good call on swapping for TV Jones pickups -- you'll have a great Gretsch for much less than a small fortune.

Awesome guitar. If I were going to get a Gretsch that's the one I'd get. Just FYI' date=' they started shipping these with white (or they might be a very light gray/silver) pickguards instead of the clear ones that they show in the stock photos. Do a Google image search and you'll see some examples. You may be fine with that pickguard, I think it looks much better. Good call on swapping for TV Jones pickups -- you'll have a great Gretsch for much less than a small fortune.[/quote']

Yeah I've seen the solid pickguard on others but was unsure what might be shipped.

For about $2K less I can play the lead to "All My Loving" with that unique Gretsch growl! I'm stoked!

Archived