Gibson Brands Forums

did they make these in '49?

jefleppard

LG-0, LG-1, LG-2, LG-3, B-25, B-25N Flattops

Three LG-1, LG-2, LG-3 models were all introduced in August 1942. But the LG1 and LG3 stopped production right after introduction (only about 100 of each model was produced in 1942), leaving just the LG-2 as the only model made through WW2. All three models had different top/brace materials. The LG-1 had a mahogany top and chocolate brown top finish, the LG-3 had a blond natural spruce top, and the LG-2 had a spruce sunburst top. So the most common war-time (banner logo) 14.25" Gibson was the sunburst LG-2. After WW2 the LG-1 and LG-3 were reintroduced, but now the three models had different features between them (the LG1 for example now had ladder bracing with a spruce top and sunburst finish). In 1958 the LG-0 was introduced as the new low-end flattop model (ladder bracing, mahogany top, brown top finish).

I took this paragraph from here: http://home.provide.net/~cfh//gibson6.html

LG-0' date=' LG-1, LG-2, LG-3, B-25, B-25N Flattops

Three LG-1, LG-2, LG-3 models were all introduced in August 1942. But the LG1 and LG3 stopped production right after introduction (only about 100 of each model was produced in 1942), leaving just the LG-2 as the only model made through WW2. All three models had different top/brace materials. The LG-1 had a mahogany top and chocolate brown top finish, the LG-3 had a blond natural spruce top, and the LG-2 had a spruce sunburst top. So the most common war-time (banner logo) 14.25" Gibson was the sunburst LG-2. After WW2 the LG-1 and LG-3 were reintroduced, but now the three models had different features between them (the LG1 for example now had ladder bracing with a spruce top and sunburst finish). In 1958 the LG-0 was introduced as the new low-end flattop model (ladder bracing, mahogany top, brown top finish).

I took this paragraph from here: http://home.provide.net/~cfh//gibson6.html[/quote']

That paragraph from Clay's vintage guitar site was (instantaneously, it seemed) taken from my post on UMGF. It was my approximation based on my intitial review of Gibson's WWII ledgers. My book with Willi Henkes, Banner Gibsons will present more precise information based on my subsequent closer review of the ledgers.

Archived