Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-60

Joe M

I just bought a near mint condition Gibson J-60 made in 1993. I can't seem to find a lot of info on this model. Mine has the nickel hardware, ebony board with no fretmarkers and no electronics. Sweet guitar. I know it was only produced for a few years in the 90's. Does anyone have any other information about this model??

Thanks...

They were an obvious attempt to enter the traditional dreadnought market. I played several of them, and while not being a dreadnought guy, I thought they were knockouts. Very grand piano like. They've done runs of them since the initial EI Rosewood incarnations, in maple and more recently walnut---which they called the j60 "Bonecrusher".

An early run (90s) from the Bozeman shop to wow the Bluegrass ("make mine Martin") crowd. It didnt. The long scale rw square box didnt sit will with Gibson traditionalists. That said, i played one (years ago). Recall a smooth sound, more balanced than a Martin dread, without the low end of doom.

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a 2008 Gibson J-60 Iron Mountain.

Specs:

adirondack Red spruce top, birdseye maple B&S, 1930's AJ top bracing, ebony fingerboard / bridge, custom shop neck with 1.77 nut, custom shop checker top trim, MOP script logo, highly flamed maple neck, handwritten label signed by Ren F., special Summer Jam '08 cert. of authenticity (signed by Ren). Certificate header 'MASTER ARCHETYPE CUSTOM' 'Sunburst Custom Iron Mountain j-60s by Master Luthier Ren Ferguson'

Limited production of 24.

How much do I like this guitar ..................I traded a Martin D28 Marquis (plus a few dollars) for it.

(before the Marquis I had a Larrivee D60 and then a Martin HD28V)

[biggrin]

• 3 months later...

I played those when they came out and they sounded very good & were a nice all-around guitar. I had a Martin HD-35 at the time & didn't need a RW Gibson shaped like a Martin. I prefer round-shouldered Gibsons, and in sunburst.

I think they faded because they were too much like a Martin in appearance for Gibson buyers but were very nice guitars and are well respected.

My first Gibson was a 90's J-60. It was a beautiful Guitar with very nice tone and volume. Mine had inlay on the fretboard. Gibson script logo in MOP. Rosewood back and sides and a Spruce top. Traded it for a D-28 which is long gone now. You should be able to find some info on the Guitar via a Google search. Some were referred to as the Bone Crusher. This J-60 had a very comfortable neck. It was a Guitar I wish I had kept longer. Very nice Guitar IMO.

Specs:

adirondack Red spruce top' date=' birdseye maple B&S, 1930's AJ top bracing, ebony fingerboard / bridge, custom shop neck with 1.77 nut, custom shop checker top trim, MOP script logo, highly flamed maple neck, handwritten label signed by Ren F., special Summer Jam '08 cert. of authenticity (signed by Ren). Certificate header 'MASTER ARCHETYPE CUSTOM' 'Sunburst Custom Iron Mountain j-60s by Master Luthier Ren Ferguson'

How much do I like this guitar ..................I traded a Martin D28 Marquis (plus a few dollars) for it.

[biggrin

Rowse55....that seems like a pretty wide nut....how do you like it compared to those Martinesque 1 11/16" nuts? Did it take you long to switch over, comfort wise?

• 3 months later...

Specs:

adirondack Red spruce top, birdseye maple B&S, 1930's AJ top bracing, ebony fingerboard / bridge, custom shop neck with 1.77 nut, custom shop checker top trim, MOP script logo, highly flamed maple neck, handwritten label signed by Ren F., special Summer Jam '08 cert. of authenticity (signed by Ren). Certificate header 'MASTER ARCHETYPE CUSTOM' 'Sunburst Custom Iron Mountain j-60s by Master Luthier Ren Ferguson'

[biggrin]

I bought one of these recently also ... I was told by someone at the Bozeman factory there were six made in each of the two finishes ... vintage sunburst and natural. Mine is sunburst. Amazing guitar.

• 4 months later...

Archived