Gibson Brands Forums

Need some feedback on feedback !

passthej45

Next Friday I'll be playing out with my new J45 (with LR Baggs system) for the 1st time. I play through a pair of JBL Eons(powered)..........going directly into the board. I really won't have a chance to check out the J45 through this system till we are actually playing. The bar we are playing at is always crowded and stays that way(no thanks to my partner and I that's for sure). So when we arrive we need to just set up and start playing. Up until this point I played a Taylor 314 which didn't have much bottom end. I am concerned about getting feedback with the low sustaining notes on the J45. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I have a sound hole cover on hand just in case and what about those anyways??? Thanks for your opinions:-s

Boy howdy that's a tough one! Stepping on stage with an acoustic pickup rig run through a system that's untested might provide some fireworks! I would most definitely have a feedback buster handy. Which Baggs are you using? Soundhole magnetic? No worry......they are quite resistant to howling and sound pretty good in most situations. Soundboard transducer or under-saddle peizo? Might get dodgy early on until you get it dialed in. Is there a house soundman with ears out front? If he knows what he's doing you should be fine. If you have an on-board preamp with EQ you and the soundman could end up wrestling each other for sonic control - best to talk it over with him before you play. Decide who's going to handle EQ. Again, if he's competent, run your guitar EQ pretty flat and let him dial it to the room out front. Monitors on-stage? Separate mix for mains? Lots of variables here........

I agree with Buc! You REALLY need a soundman while you start playing. If there's not one running sound for the bar, BRING SOMEONE WITH YOU!!! The quicker you can get dialed in, the better. You can get killed on stage just from bad sound (without even playing!) Like said by Buc, alot of variables here. Try to cover all the bases before you show up!

One added note. Once dialed in soundwise, you'll truly fall in love with you're new Gibson! The sound, oh that sound!!! Then you'll go home and throw rocks at that Taylor!

I just got my first couple gigs with a new J-45 that is a couple weeks old and that low was a problem with the under the saddle pickup that comes stock, but just rolling back the low end on the board fixed that problem nicely.

Oh and with or without onstage moniters there was a problem so that didn't make a difference for me.

But don't worry the struggle is worth it!!

Yeah it has the stock built in pickup as stated above. We are just a 2 piece, I am the only instrument , my partner sings. We don't use monitors , just point the 2 mains where we can here them also....believe me , it's a small operation. Previously , we would just set everything flat and the Taylor had the Expression System which I didn't care for much, but it did have an onboard EQ. My partner just sort of tweaks the sound a bit as we go and it ususally turns out ok. Like I said we aren't exactly playing Carnegie Hall or the House of Blues for that matter. So I think we'll start out with the board flat, I'll bring a feedback buster just to be safe. Do they affect the sound of the guitar much? I was just wondering. Thanks for the advice and thoughts to ponder..[biggrin] here is our website so you can see what level I'm talking about here !

vonzipperandthepope.com:-k

....I'll bring a feedback buster just to be safe. Do they affect the sound of the guitar much? I was just wondering.

No, the feedback buster won't effect the amplified sound......they do make a big dent in it acoustically, though. Given that, I'd install the buster as a matter of course and you won't have to deal with any potential howl generated by the body. Good luck with the show - break a leg!

Archived