Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul newbie

schizophrenica

Hie everyone, I'm new in this forums and I have almost no experience with a Les Paul. I just got a Epi Les Paul Special II recently and I have some questions. I've been playing for 9 years and I've never played a les paul before, but I've always liked the look of it and everyone says it can play a get range of music. I would've gotten a LP standard but i'm still studying(limited cash) and this is my first electric guitar.

I'd like to know if I can install pickguards on the LP Special II? And does anyone keep the stock humbuckers that came along with it? I'm not a big fan of open coil humbuckers and I own a dog that sheds fur a lot. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on your new guitar. If you are looking for epi humbuckers with covers then I am sure you could pick up a set real cheap on ebay. Alot of guys will replace them with Gibsons, Fralins, Duncans or another name brand in an attempt to get a better sound. If you are simply wanting covers on yours, then you can purchase covers for a few bucks each and solder them on yourself. Lots of websites have them including www.stewmac.com. Just make sure you get the right ones. Good luck

Thanks for the info.. Getting a cover seems more cost effective than getting new pickups.(If I had the cash for better pickups I might have as well got an LP standard).

Browsing the forums I found out that I have to drill holes to attach a pickguard? Is this true? Seems a shame to do so.

Thanks for the info.. Getting a cover seems more cost effective than getting new pickups.(If I had the cash for better pickups I might have as well got an LP standard).

Browsing the forums I found out that I have to drill holes to attach a pickguard? Is this true? Seems a shame to do so.

Yep. That's the only thing to hold the pick guard on. Unless, you can screw them right into the wood with no pilot holes. Lot's of us leave the guards off anyway. It's a matter of taste and if you really want something more to anchor your right pink on while playing.

hey... heres my overly modded epi special II i got like 15 years ago...

mods include

pickguard: yes, after moving one of the pots

pickups: emg zakk wylde set (81/85)

bridge: schaller roller bridge

tailpiece: schaller fine tunning tailpiece

selector switch: moved to the standard position and routed, so it looks more les paul-ish

trc: gibson les paul custom

tuners: klusons for that vintage look

color: she was originally black, then i paid some guy to have her painted in white (8 years ago), and now i refinished her myself.

Very good guitar for the price, never had a problem with her, and a simple affordable way to find out if you are into pauls (lets face it, some people just cant play a singlecut round bottomed guitar, they just need two horns!)

PICTURE BEFORE MODDING her more for her 15 anyversary.

DSC00674-2.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

PICTURE AS SHE IS NOW (refinished her recently)

after.jpg

Imagen015.jpg

i really dont know! its been done over years and years of playing her and buying stuff to put in her, i didnt spend it all at once, bridge and tailpiece are in her for 3 years now, pickups have a little more than 5, pickguard and tuners 10!

lets see if i can make a detailed list with actual prices from gc or mf (no tax if buying online right?), bridge and tailpiece i got from stewmac...

(all hardware gold, but i think nickel looks better and costs less, i just liked gold better when i started modding her years ago)

gibson custom pickguard w/bracket and screws: $29,99

emg zakk wylde set (81/85): $198,00

schaller roller bridge: $55,22

schaller fine tunning tailpiece: $55,22

gold gibson jackplate with screws: $12,99

gibson les paul custom trc: $14,99

kluson/gibson gold vintage tuners: $64,99

refinish: i dont know how much i would charge for that

So i would say i have spent $431,40 in that guitar... maybe some will think thats a lot to WASTE on that guitar, but as i said, i didnt spend it all in one shot, and since this was my first electric it kind of has sentimental value so i would never sell her.

I also think doing mods to an expensive guitar is not my thing, if i buy a 2k guitar it is one i like, not one i dont like and have to spend 500 or more in mods, there are a lot of options out there specially above 2k, so if i mod anything it has to be cheap so i wont regret it that much if i screw up, and the mods actually bring the instrument to a higher level.

Wow that's like more than the cost of the original guitar. I don't think I'll be modding this guitar anytime soon though, mainly due to lack of skill. I'm not really a beginner at guitars playing wise but I'm very much a newbie when it comes to modding and tinkering an electric guitar. I'm really looking forward to exploring this guitar, I mean up till a couple of weeks ago I don't even know the difference between a single coil and humbuckers!

Hello all,

I'm another newbie. I just picked up a 1999 LP Studio. "Ruby" is her name. She is nicely used but not abused. I got her for $700.

I have played guitar for 20 years and picked up my first electric in 95. I was tired of playing mediocre guitars and when looking for a Gibson Les Paul. I like pre-dented things. I don't want to be the first to mark it up.

I read the postings about the Nytro finish concerns with stands.

And I read the cleaning that finish can be done with most any cleaner. (with in reason)

I will be posting new questions soon.

Thank you all for participating in this forum for us uninformed.

Knapp

There is a screw less pickguard available for LP.

Archived