Gibson Brands Forums

String Guage - How do you know when it's time to move up?

adlankj

So, I just broke my third high E string in just a few weeks.:-k (came damn close to going in my eye).

I use .11's, and I love them, I think they're very comfortable, but the 1st strings just keep breaking after some fierce blues bendin'.

It might be the quality of the strings. The first time it broke it was from the DR set that I was using and it broke after lasting me for 1 or 2 months. But that was my last quality set I got from the States, and since then I've been using the ones I can get from the music store here (a brand I've never heard of). And the first string keeps breaking. The thing is, there's nowhere to get a setup here for a higher guage, and I'm not sure I really want to go up to .12s anyway. The only problem I have with the .11's is that I keep breaking them.

What should I do? Just stop bending so hard?

Funnily enough this happened after I read the thread on stringing your strings above the tailpiece. I'd never heard of this, so I tried it, because of the whole thing about strings lasting longer. But then I thought it might be scratching the bridge, so I changed them back to the normal way, and then a few days later the string breaks, lol.

Hmmmmm.....

And to think I just put 8-38s on my solidbody so I could reeeeeally do some bending.

Hmmmm.

For what it's worth, I ain't broke a top # in probably 32 years or so with 9s. Bu then I've always been kind gentle.

m

I agree with rocketman. There are a lot of things that can be causing your string to break. What broke mine was my stopbar tailpiece. The string slots will get little sharp grooves in them over time from useage. I would break strings in a weeks time. I eventually had the tailpiece filed down and now it's not a problem.

Archived