Gibson Brands Forums

Today I broke a NAIL!!!!!

onewilyfool

Today I broke a NAIL on my middle finger!!!!! I never thought I'd say those words before, but darn it....I broke a nail. I have tried every finger pick on the market, and after a while I CAN use them.....but they just feel "un-natural" The most important nail for me is the thumb nail, which I use for a lot of different techniques on those bass strings. I have had an acrylic nail put on my thumb once when I really split the nail.....felt different, but did the trick. Any suggestions????Any experiences you can share. Any products you can recommend???? It just sounds so different without the nail plucking the string...Thanks.....

Today I broke a NAIL on my middle finger!!!!! I never thought I'd say those words before' date=' but darn it....I broke a nail. I have tried every finger pick on the market, and after a while I CAN use them.....but they just feel "un-natural" The most important nail for me is the thumb nail, which I use for a lot of different techniques on those bass strings. I have had an acrylic nail put on my thumb once when I really split the nail.....felt different, but did the trick. Any suggestions????Any experiences you can share. Any products you can recommend???? It just sounds so different without the nail plucking the string...Thanks.....[/quote']

I suggest you frost your hair and get the "Queen-Sized" Leggs Nylons and you'll be all set!

Seems to me Pete Townsend (Sp?), had trouble breaking and scuffing nails, but that could have been caused by trolling for youngins on the internet.

A Flamencoist told me once he has his done down at the beauty salon... except.... he has them install a half nail, only covering the outer half (away from the knuckle) of the real nail. Once done, he pays the lady then shapes it to his liking. There's less chance of getting a fungal infection under a half nail than a full nail. Fungal infections of the fingernails are U-u-u-u-gly.

There are also do it yourself glue on nails, but good luck finding them in a man's finger size. One fellow made emergency replacements out of pingpong balls. Apparently they had the 'right' curvature. Superglued on, of course.

There used to be a product called "Hard as Nails" that a lot of the guys used in the 1960s. I tried it once and darned if I remember feeling it helped much. I think diet has more to do with it. (He said as he looks at a broken thumbnail.)

When I did some more flamenco stuff I had my nails longer, and I remember that they were more easily broken than the current "even with the fingertip" for bare fingerpickin' I do mostly. I seldom (knock on wood) break nails at that length. On the 12 I do use steel fingerpicks and a thumb pick; nothing on other guitars.

m

I'm done with that-- breaking nails. I go in to the old Saloon (er- "Salon") every six weeks or so for a back fill, and that's that.

Haven't had a nail problem for three years.

No more gluing plastic tips, plastic pics, or soft nails disintegrating midway thru a 12 hour jam!! And you can't even tell them apart from the regular nails on the other fingers.

Highly recommended!!

Archived