Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone tell me what model this is?

zwl776

Greetings, all. My brother-in-law discovered what appears to be an old Gibson acoustic from the 1930's or 1940's in his uncle's closet. The aforementioned uncle also estimated the guitar to be at least 50 or 60 years old. The tuners are shot, it could really use some humidification and all of the labels seem to be long gone. It also has ladder bracing.

Here are some pictures of the instrument in question.

100_0120.jpg

100_0127-1.jpg

100_0130.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

IMG_8399.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this appears to be a genuine Gibson and if so, does anyone have any idea what model this is?

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Congratulations you have a late 30s Gibson J-35. The buttons on the tuners can be replaced, but those are not the original tuners. The bridge may too be a replacement, looks a bit oversized, but I could be wrong. There will be a number on the neck block that will give you the year it was built. Look inside the guitar toward the neck, there is a block of wood where the neck attaches. There will be an ink stamped number. They are sometimes hard to see.

I live in Galesburg, IL.

Terry

A very nice J-35. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is certainly not ladder braced (look for the X shaped brace patttern under the top). The questions are 1) scalloped or tapered bracing and 2) 2 or 3 tonebars?

A great guitar.

WOw.. That's a pretty old guitar! (It doesn't look that old though...) You got to keep it and take good care of it T_T

I think that can also be restored too.

PRetty amazing guys, I think you're a Gibson genius, you know a lot about Gibson les paul history

---------------------------------------

Archived