Gibson Brands Forums

bumblebee caps & cts pots

zsharp1

anyone have experience with cts pots and caps swaps?

is it worth changing from stock?

what does my 2007 LP custom Shop Re-issue have inside ? i am hearing different things and i just want to understand.

any info would help. i tried to locate info on the web and there isnt really anything out there that says what is inside ,type , ect...

thanks

pete

yes. i changed the stock pots/caps out with an RS vintage kit.....made the tapers much more usable. i currently have an RS Reissue Kit (w/real Luxe BB caps) which i intend on putting in my R8. i am interested to hear the difference.

yes. i changed the stock pots/caps out with an RS vintage kit.....made the tapers much more usable. i currently have an RS Reissue Kit (w/real Luxe BB caps) which i intend on putting in my R8. i am interested to hear the difference.

A good move for sure. I had mine wired to 50's style as well.

Heres what I received in the mail.

NewPAC.jpg

If anything,try the 50's wiring if you don't already have it.

It's what I do and prefer.

Caps and pots are subjective and depends on what you already have,how/what you play etc. etc.

PS - you should have generic ceramic caps and 300k vol/500k CTS tone pots,but you didn't state exactly what you have...?

Historic pots are crap. They have next to no taper at all. The caps' date=' while they look cool, were not real

"Bees" so RS was the ticket all around.

So obviously,for some stupid reason,Gibson used Linear instead of audio[confused] What the[-( If that's the case,go right ahead and swap them out for an Audio taper pot(vol).

The "pretend" bumlebees I knew about. Just regular PIO painted with stripes.[blink]

PS - you should have generic ceramic caps and 300k vol/500k CTS tone pots' date='but you didn't state exactly what you have...?[/quote']

No, he said reissue in his first post.

Unless it's an old one, it has Gibson's fake Bumblebee caps and four 500k CTS pots.

zsharp1, what type & year is it, exactly? I'm gonna guess it's the on in your avatar and that it's a '68RI...but if your serial number begins with CS, it's not a reissue.

No' date=' he said reissue in his first post.

Unless it's an old one, it has Gibson's fake Bumblebee caps and four 500k CTS pots.

zsharp1, what type & year is it, exactly? I'm gonna guess it's the on in your avatar and that it's a '68RI...but if your serial number begins with CS, it's not a reissue.

...which is why I stated that he didn't say what he had - year,model etc.

I have a 2007 Gibson Les Paul custom 68 re-issue, #078818, i spoke with RS already and look forward the to getting the upgrade. i could not find any info if this was a VOS or whatnot, Gibson didnt really say in their resposne i received.

also , i have a 2008 Standard LP that has the Gibson pots. they sound ok , i noticed they lack control and i will swap those out to. i dont know the difference between modern & vintage ? so .... i am looking for some feedback from anyone who has heard these modern vs. vintage upgrades.

thanks.

i could not find any info if this was a VOS or whatnot' date=' Gibson didnt really say in their resposne i received.[/quote']

Does the hardware look new or old? If the hardware looks old, it's VOS, if it looks new, it's gloss. That's the only difference - one looks new, the other does not.

So obviously' date='for some stupid reason,Gibson used Linear instead of audio[confused'] What the[-( If that's the case,go right ahead and swap them out for an Audio taper pot(vol).

The "pretend" bumlebees I knew about. Just regular PIO painted with stripes.[biggrin]

my understanding is that the fake bees are not PIO. but i could be wrong...

Archived