Gibson Brands Forums

MK35

frugalmac

I'm looking for an affordable Gibson acoustic and have found and played an MK35 from around 1976 that plays really nicely to my relatively unsophisticated ear and fingers. I read various comments on line to the effect that they're not highly thought of with dubious build quality etc. I'm wondering if anything that still sounds good after 35 years or so was proabably always good, and what advice if any users of this forum would be inclined to offer. The price is OK, and probably negotiable.

Hmmm, not one of the more noteworthy models. The seventies were not good to acoustic guitars in many cases, and it ain't just Gibson. But if you really want a Gibson, there are lots of affordable ones out there, especially if you search online.

The online dealers generally have a return policy, so if you get the guitar and don't like it, you can send it back. But I never have. I have eight guitars. They were all located and subsequently purchased via the Internet.

If you know your price range and the type of acoustic guitar you'd like, here's a handy way of looking around:

Gbase

If you want to post what you're looking for, many folks around here might PM you to steer you onto something. And of course, check the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here in the Gibson forums. Good luck!

Cheers!

Rick...[cool]

Hi Frugalmac, I agree with Oubaas that the MK 35 is not one of Gibsons finest. I think you will find something better with a bit of searching, probably for similar money. It's worth taking the time to do some research. Let us know what you get.

Hi Fellas. Thanks for all the helpful advice over the past few days. Am I allowed to mention other brands on this forum? I've been distracted by a 1965 Yamaha FG180 that I've been offered at a price I couldn't refuse. Still interested in Gibsons - going to look at an LGO later this week - but no longer in a hurry. Happy picking. [cool]

(1) that plays really nicely .....(2) sounds good after 35 years or so was proabably always good...

(3)The price is OK' date=' and probably negotiable.[/quote']

sure the MK series has its bad rep but you've fulfilled 3 major criterion here, what else can you ask for? if its made it this far it probably doesnt share the misfortunes of its brothers and sisters.

I actually really like the MK series guitars! The ones I've played have had a really interesting and unique tone, plus the backstory about Kasha and Schneider who designed them is really cool.

They're not as universal as a Hummingbird, J45 or SJ200, buy they certainly have their place in Gibson history.

I agree that an example that's pushing 40yrs old and is still in one piece is likely to remain that way if properly cared for.

Well now guys this is really interesting. I took my FG180 along to the shop that's got the mk35, and played them back to back. There's no doubt that the Gibson has a more mellow tone and a bit more sustain than the Yam, Not perhaps $600 worth, which is roughly the difference, but there's resale value to consider. I've also been looking at new guitars (I owe myself a treat) and have identified a very attractive, bright, solid bodied electro-accoustic cutaway for £100 dollars less than the Gibson. It woud be lovely to have in the living room, and, and...but I keep coming back to this Gibson. I like the quirky donut round the sound hole and the fan shaped bridge. And interesting design history?? tell me more!

A buddy of mine had a Mark series when we were in high school. He was a great player and knew lots of songs. Kind of an early inspiration--a regular guy that could pull out a guitar and keep a party entertained just playing songs off the top of his head. So, I always thought that guitar was special. Still do. I've entertained searching one out from time to time, and likely may end up on a serious hunt at some point in the future. Bottom line, if you like a guitar, it sounds good, it's structurally sound and speaks to you, then your opinion is valid. Just because it's from the Norlin era, not "collectable," and wasn't a traditional design doesn't mean it's not a great guitar. I understand financial realities of having to consider resale value, but likely as not, you'd be able to get your money back, or most of it, if you decided to sell. Besides, sometimes the experience of owning a guitar for a while and getting to know it has a value of it's own that's harder to quantify. I also like the plastic soundhole decoration and the fan shaped bridge. Reminds me of some good times. I think the prevailing opinion of these guitars is similar to that of the other Gibsons--some sounded great, and some weren't as good. As you point out though, 35 years can help spruce to open up, so some of the less impressive examples back in the day might be quite nice at present. Personally, I don't mind oddballs and rare birds, if nothing else, it's got a cool back story regarding the design. And, well, it's a Gibson...

Dwight

Archived