Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j200 - 2004/2005 ish - is it worth it?

rossnuk

Hey someone I know is selling a j200 sunburst (standard?) I believe.

It is reckoned to be a 2004 model - wondering what you thought on price its worth - he is looking for £1900 which I thought was a bit steep - t has a small hair line crack on the top - about 1cm long, but he says it is only in the laquar and not the wood.

i had the same model but mine was a 2007 model - it had gold grover tuners and only two inlays on the bridge. I dint like mine as the top was too thick and it sounded dead.

This one has 4 inlays on the bridge and what looks to be klusion tuners. It comes with the standard case.

What do you think?

Its either that or a new j185 TV.

I am not sure how to put the pics up on this site.

Ross

Hey someone I know is selling a j200 sunburst (standard?) I believe.

It is reckoned to be a 2004 model - wondering what you thought on price its worth - he is looking for £1900 which I thought was a bit steep - t has a small hair line crack on the top - about 1cm long' date=' but he says it is only in the laquar and not the wood.

i had the same model but mine was a 2007 model - it had gold grover tuners and only two inlays on the bridge. I dint like mine as the top was too thick and it sounded dead.

This one has 4 inlays on the bridge and what looks to be klusion tuners. It comes with the standard case.

What do you think?

Its either that or a new j185 TV.

I am not sure how to put the pics up on this site.

Ross[/quote']

I am looking for one too(J200) Ross but thats a lot of dosh unless it's one like Jinders 2003

J185 time!

There is no difference in the quality of tonewoods used in the 185 and the 200. The 200 is more expensive because it's bigger and blingier.

I love my 2003 SJ200, but the crack is ringing alarm bells to me, unless of course it's just a lacquer crack...my heart is telling me that you should go for the J185 TV.

If you get the Gibson bug (sorry, WHEN not if!) then buy an SJ200 too! In fact, pick up a CJ165 whilst you're at it and you'll have a whole family of awesome Maple guitars :-)

Seriously, my advice is play both and follow your heart. The J185TV will be lighter braced than the 2004 '200, so will sound more lively and responsive, the lack of which you mentioned was an issue with your previous '200.

Happy choosing!

Archived