Gibson Brands Forums

Asking too much

Thundergod

Last week I took down the action on 2 of my guitars. Them strings were almost touching the strings and it felt really easy to play and nice on the fingers.

I've always loved it a little higher than normal and only did that to try and see how easy shredding with them really low was.

Now I could pick notes fast without noticing, but then I went and started playing slow stuff, lots of bendings and all the fretboard started buzzing [cool]

Went back to normal immediately. I don't care fot fret buzz.

It would be great tho, to be able to have them strings as low but with no buzz and without losing any sustain and attack.

Is that asking much?

Which guitars? From my experience this is very difficult to do with Les Pauls without constant tweaking. They just weren't made for this. The PRS guitar I'm getting seems to do this pretty well. I played an Ibanez JEM a few times and it was also nice in this respect. But both don't sound like a Les Paul.

A lot depends on fretboard camber. With 7.25 / 9.5 " radius, it's always going to be difficult to get a clean low action.

My 1979 SG always had the action set to 1mm at the 12th fret on both 1st and 6th strings. There was never buzzing unless the strings needed replacing.

I measure mine without using a capo on the first fret.

My Byrdland is quite low --- 1/16" @ the 12th fret on the big E, a little lower on the high E and there is no buzzing except a tiny bit on the G, A and big E strings from above the 15th frets.

My PRS CU22 can't get quite as low without some buzzing. It's at about 5/64" on the big E and a little lower on the high E. There is some light buzzing on the G and A strings.

I find it also makes a difference if I'm playing the PRS standing up or sitting down. While sitting down I'm apparently putting more pressure on the neck and body and get a bit more string buzz. But once I stand it's gone.

I think a lot has to do with the strings themselves and the degree of tension and how (and where) you pluck the strings.

My "sweetheart" guitar seemed to buzz like blazes with heavier strings. ??? Lighter strings and a different picking style and she's wonderful.

m

Archived